Paint Peeling

richo106

Hi All

I have painted all my walls and ceilings in Dulux trade diamond Matt emulsion, I went for this as it saids more durable and can be wiped etc

However I am concerned that it will start to peel, the worktop guys slightly chipped the paint in places (tight fit) and it has started the peel with lifted up edges. I have also noticed this when fixing/drilling into the walls

Has anyone come across this before with diamond matt emulsion?

I am just panicking now that in a unknown period of time all my paint is going to start to peel off!

Got any pictures? Peeling suggests poor preparation of the surface before painting, not an issue with the paint. Is there fresh plaster underneath, and was it properly mist coated?

The whole house was mist coated, my only concern is that i didn't fully clean down the surface before painting so i panicking that it may all start peeling!

Peeling paint.jpg

4 minutes ago, richo106 said:

whole house was mist coated

What was it mist coated with?

We used Dulux trade throughout, including the mist coat (30% watered down) no issues.

It looks like the emulsion hasn't adhered to the mist coat.

Posted (edited)

i had this happen to me, i ended up being able to peel the paint off the whole room.

your issue is that you cant feather edge sand the affected area to touch it up.

Edited by gaz_moose

Doesn’t look as if the top coat has adhered to the mist coat. Is it a waterproof type paint designed for kitchens/bathrooms? I have previously found those paints and the wipeable kind harder to work with and very susceptible to poor surface prep. 

I have a similar problem on the lower part of one wall about 2m wide. I mist coated everything over the coarse of a few days using Valspar Express Coat which doesn’t need to be watered down and can be used for fresh plaster. When I apply subsequent coats of paint it’s lifting the mist coat off the plaster in a few places. Everywhere else is fine. I waited for two weeks after the walls were plastered before painting and checked with my moisture meter. I also sanded the rough bits off every wall.  But I can only assume that I missed this wall somehow and  the plaster wasn’t fully dry or the surface was too shiny when I applied the mist coat. 

I’ve bought Gardz Surface sealer to hopefully address the problem. 

The challenge you’ll have with repairing is trying to sand it back to get a feather edge to repaint. What I had to do was sand the area back then fill it with a very thin layer of filler and sand that back. 

Yes its a waterproof type paint, Dulux trade diamond matt, it was sold to me as better than kitchen/bathroom paint - (was more expensive too!)

Yes I thought the same regarding not adhering to the mist coat, this is why I am annoyed as I should have cleaned the walls down properly before emulsion

I am planning to use a very thin layer of filler and sand back

Will it just randomly start peeling now all over? I know it's impossible to know 

Hard to say. You could try and put on another coat of paint with a roller on another part of the wall. If it’s really not adhering it will lift off. Alternatively ignore it until it becomes a problem. It might not.