Posted (edited)

This steel is spanning 10m across the whole house and is sitting above joists level. It will have a flat roof in the extension joining onto it.

I don't understand why it is above joists level, is that OK?

Also is the padstone OK, the way it's sitting upright?

Screenshot_20240517_093146_Outlook.jpg

Screenshot_20240517_093134_Outlook.jpg

Edited by vik2001

Posted (edited)

Based only on the photo it looks ok to me. I mean the general quality looks ok. Possibly one of the joist hangers could be neater?

This sort of thing (where the beam goes) often involves compromises such as trading off increased headroom for thermal bridging. It generally looks better if the beam in in the ceiling rather than boxed in under it but that can increase heat losses.

This sort of beam should really be designed by a professional, typically a structural engineer or similar. They will specify how big the beam is, how its jointed and supported. Frequently the Building Control Officer will ask to see those calculations/design.

The job of the padstone is to prevent a "cheese wire" effect by spreading the load of the beam along the length of the wall which it is doing. Laying it flat would make it overhang the sides of the wall and that would have no benefit. The area of the padstone in contact with the wall is what matters and is calculated based on the load and the crush strength of the wall. 

Is it going to be a warm roof (insulation above rafters) or cold roof (insulation between rafters with ventilated void above the insulation) ? 

Edit: Ideally the padstone should be centred below the beam but even that may not be an issue especially if the pad stone is longer than necessary.

Edited by Temp

PS: You might consider telling the Builder you would like to be there when the BCO makes his inspections. Not to check up on him but you are just interested in how it's done.