Attached Garage side of house

Hello, 

Looking for some help.

Im hoping to build a small garage at side of my house it will be of blockwork less than 30sq m and to correct height but will be attached to house, 

so needs building regs. 

Never done this before so I pay £400 fmto submit application then what ? 

If approved will they send me a plan of what materials and how it should be built ? 

Do I have to pay for further inspections ? 

I did also consider a prefab garage but will need to be detached but would mean no building regs needed

you submit your plans of what and how you are going to build and depending on what mood they are in they say yes or no, or tell you what you need to change to satisfy their objectives.

they do 'attached' prefab garages. guy i know had one, don't look too bad.

29 minutes ago, chriz1 said:

If approved will they send me a plan of what materials and how it should be built ? 

Do I have to pay for further inspections ? 

No and no.

They will not tell you how to build it or what it should be built with; indeed if you go for a 'Full Plans application (what it says on the tin - you submit full plans of what you propose to do) then *you* will be telling them.

If you go for a 'Building Notice' you don't have to submit prior plans, but you could get so far and the BCO disagree with what you propose. With Full Plans all they need to do is confirm that you are building in accordance with the plans they approved. Bldg Notice is often used for relatively uncomplicated work where differences of opinion are unlikely but can be used for bigger work particularly where there is a known and good relationship between the BCO and builder. (The Bldg Notice Pro Forma basically says: "Dear BC, I propose to do the works briefly described below, starting not less than 2 days from the submission of this Notice, and I enclose your fee".)

All inspections should be covered in the fee (or that was the case when I last applied in 2022).

Thanks for your reply thats a huge help, not sure yet on if it will need planning I haven't received a response back yet I have told them what I propose to do. 

I thought Bc would specify what materials etc it would need to comply, so that's interesting

I concur with DevilDamo and would add, you should seek an surveyor/ technician/ engineer to produce the detailed drawings for a full plans submission. Ask that the drawings give a sufficient level of information to allow builders to quote.

You will also need to consider whether you will want someone to tender the works for you and oversee the construction works as it will be worth getting a fee quote at that stage.

It will likely require planning. The Local Authority won't necessarily get back to you to confirm whether it needs planning, they are under no obligation to. Have a read through the Permitted Development Rights guidance on the .gov site and see if any applies. 

• Like 1