Expanding Existing Solar without MCS

16 minutes ago, G and J said:

sobering stuff from the news today for big solar PV plans.

However with increased electricity usage generally (heat pumps, electric cars etc etc) with the movement away from fossil fuels surely having the supply first maybe a good idea. Horse before the cart for once. 🤷‍♂️

storage is the next hurdle IMO.

10 hours ago, Dillsue said:

Are you sure about the building control approval? Using a part P spark dispenses with the need for the householder(Octopus customer) to get involved with BC, so why would Octopus ask for BC approval in respect of electrical works? The part P spark issues the installation cert so no BC involvement for the customer.

As you're adding load to the roof you'd need BC approval for that, or an exemption process similar to using a part P spark. I beleive the MCS process involves structural assessment of the roof and negates the need for BC approval. If you go the non MCS route, who verifies the adequacy of the roof if its not BC approval??

It's what I've read in 2 or 3 places from people claiming to have signed up via this route. The electrical installation cert is a seperate piece of paper to the part p building control notification, Octopus want both.

My understanding of the above is as follows...

>Part P (Electrical) just means that you/your installer follows the regulation set out in this document: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a802da7ed915d74e622ceed/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

>Part P certification can only be issued by either "registered competent person" or "registered third-party certifier" or "building control body"

If you want to do the work yourself then it is notifiable to BC therefore...To get a BC certificate (which covers Part P) your install would need to meet Part P and any another other Parts requested by BC

You do not need to be qualified or registered you just need to be "competent" and sign to say you are via a BS 7671 certificate (you can buy these and sign yourself) to BC https://www.expresselectrical.net/electrical-installation-certificate

image.png.4d1c26a3ec1c2e5adddce68fd48d3851.png

I have done this myself for other electrical work e.g. minor works and BC don't have a problem.

5 hours ago, Jinglish said:

My understanding of the above is as follows...

>Part P (Electrical) just means that you/your installer follows the regulation set out in this document: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a802da7ed915d74e622ceed/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

>Part P certification can only be issued by either "registered competent person" or "registered third-party certifier" or "building control body"

If you want to do the work yourself then it is notifiable to BC therefore...To get a BC certificate (which covers Part P) your install would need to meet Part P and any another other Parts requested by BC

You do not need to be qualified or registered you just need to be "competent" and sign to say you are via a BS 7671 certificate (you can buy these and sign yourself) to BC https://www.expresselectrical.net/electrical-installation-certificate

image.png.4d1c26a3ec1c2e5adddce68fd48d3851.png

I have done this myself for other electrical work e.g. minor works and BC don't have a problem.

Anyone can complete and sign an Electrical Installation Certificate as per the sample ones in BS7671. You may get building control accept this. 

However, you can only get a electrical certificate of compliance (part p) if you are registered with the likes of napit or niceic for self certification, or if you get someone who is to 3rd party sign you off, or if you pay LABC something like £600 to send someone out to inspect. Sample of this is below, which is what octopus apparently need, along with the BS7671 Electrical Installation Certificate and DNO approval. 

IMG_4866.jpeg

Edited by Mattg4321

28 minutes ago, Mattg4321 said:

or if you pay LABC something like £600 to send someone out to inspect.

Nothing like that in Devon

image.png.fddc72072ada51d2d6568c1a4cd86049.png

I have used the same application to install a battery storage system, they were then willing to amend it to include an EV charging point and a second time to add a heat pump. So good value for my £215!