Concrete retaining wall

Posted (edited)

I require a new retaining wall in the garden, 0.6m above ground level and 18 metres in length including a few slight bends. The current plan is to build from blocks and then clad with some form of stone cladding. Whilst in London I came across this and wondered whether it could work as an alternative, avoiding the need to clad, and offering integrated seating into the design. I imagine it would be easy to power wash and I wouldn't need to worry about damaging any cladding adhesive with this option. I have called around a few pre-cast concrete suppliers and none seem to be able to offer this. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could look into this further? Am I crazy to think this might work out cheaper than building with blocks, cladding, and then sorting an integrated seating option?

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

Adam

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 15.40.49.png

Edited by AdaminCymru
Make it clearer

14 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

That will be very very expensive.  Think 6x the price of blockwork.

Yep! They look very close to some precast benches we were asked to lift in. When the guy said they were around a grand for each 2m block he was told to “drop them in place” his self.

• Like 1

What the Spanish municipal authorities would do is build this in brick or block, then rough render it to shape, then render or tile it.

There are well designed kit systems for retaining walls , with stone effect as an option.

Your photo is an example of spending someone else's money.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

make your own mould up

Using fancy plywood for reuse and a good finish. Then pour 0.5m3 each pour? Site mix.

And adapt for corners.

Or forget the municipal look and go for a rustic board finish.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Using fancy plywood for reuse and a good finish

Polypropylene lined.

Get a great finish at a low cost.

(I used to make concrete moulds, Reigate junction on M25 was one of mine and a flood defence in Swansea) 

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

What the Spanish municipal authorities would do is build this in brick or block, then rough render it to shape, then render or tile it.

There are well designed kit systems for retaining walls , with stone effect as an option.

Your photo is an example of spending someone else's money.

Thank you. I am concerned that with the render option, as this is a retaining wall (lawn), we would have problems down the line with water damage to the render