Floor plans for split level house

Hi all,

We have planning permission for a split level house on an elevated site (not ideal), we're building into a steep slope and it will require a retaining wall running through the spine of the house (see drawings attached). Burying a lot of money I know!! 

It's the only site available near home where I farm. 

Anyway, the architect has drew up the floor plans after we detailed what we needed and wanted. It's a 4 bed with a large living space, with a separate living area / snug.  It's south facing so we have went with an apex window with lift and slide doors to access the balcony and enjoy the view across the countryside.

Any advice or recommendations on the plans to change / think about? 

Thanks in advance! 

Screenshot_20240509-112242~2.png

Screenshot_20240509-112249~2.png

Not bad. Few points

Ditch the open fire. Not even sure its possible to pass new regs with one.

Not nearly enough storage in/near the kitchen.

The basement stair design means you're almost doubling the amount of retaining wall, thermally less efficient, tanking is more complex and more excavation required. Huge waste of money. A suggestion would be to rotate the stairs 90degrees and make the basement a bit deeper.

We were in the same situation with a site that dropped 1.5m from front to back. We ended up making a full basement as it was more cost effective than a partial excavation. Construction cost was something like an extra £15k for an additional 50m2 of space. This was because you've got a lot of fixed / mobilisation costs, and the process of foundations etc becomes simpler. Need to look at these things holistically and start speaking to an SE now to see how the architect's designs translate to construction practicalities and costs. 

Thanks for your reply Conor,

Yes the open fire is going, architect has yet to update that.

Storage is a concern. We were thinking of adding a walk in pantry to the dining room (long and narrow 1.4 x 3.5m) along the internal wall. Although it might mean increasing the size of the dining room slightly because it could get cramped. The kitchen / lounge area has a vaulted ceiling so we have the option of raising kitchen units a bit more for extra storage. 

Good point on the staircase positioning and how it will affect excavation etc. I have assigned an SE just last week so he's currently working on drawings, I will bring that to his attention and see what he advises. I'm hoping he brings a few ideas to the table to help simplify design and save a few £££. 

I have built a split level house into a slope with a 3 sided basement.

Agree with Conor, get those stairs sorted, i don't know what the architect was thinking here. You want to make the basement a rectangle and as simple as possible. Get the stairs inside that rectangle.

What is your structural engineer leaning towards for the retaining walls? Do you have a waterproofing strategy yet?

Nice.   But your apex glazed elevation (lounge) + south facing = big overheating risk .    look at my profile pic & my south elevation glazing much smaller than yours.  Our rooms there overheat big style.  Fine if you are happy to wander around the house butt naked.    You can open windows but if your site is elevated & windy…..you may have problems using that room.

Roof overhang or reducing glazing will help.

4 hours ago, Moonshine said:

I have built a split level house into a slope with a 3 sided basement.

Agree with Conor, get those stairs sorted, i don't know what the architect was thinking here. You want to make the basement a rectangle and as simple as possible. Get the stairs inside that rectangle.

What is your structural engineer leaning towards for the retaining walls? Do you have a waterproofing strategy yet?

He's going with a RC retaining wall. Not 100% sure on waterproofing strategy thus far, we have talked about the options over the phone but he will decide what's best practice.

4 hours ago, Bozza said:

Nice.   But your apex glazed elevation (lounge) + south facing = big overheating risk .    look at my profile pic & my south elevation glazing much smaller than yours.  Our rooms there overheat big style.  Fine if you are happy to wander around the house butt naked.    You can open windows but if your site is elevated & windy…..you may have problems using that room.

Roof overhang or reducing glazing will help.

It's something we're thinking about. We have a 2.5m overhang which will help, but not eliminate overheating. We have yet to sit down with window companies to discuss spec but I have read about solar control glass, I'm not sure if the local companies provide that product or how much extra it would cost but it's something we'll look into.