DNO reneged on quote for new connection

Tearing my hair out; in Jan 24 several months after submitting our application, we were told by our DNO that we could have our new connection and a quote & proposal offered at about £12K for the work.
Fast forward a few weeks, we went back to ask them to look again for an alternative route as that first one wouldn't work, too close to the main roots of a 300-400 year old Oak in the boundary line.  They've now come back and said they think the first quote was incorrect, that the line won't cope with our new connection and they've referred it up to the detailed or senior design team.  

This despite my explaining - again - that we are building a passivhaus with a tiny heat load requirement, no ASHP etc etc all the ground I covered with them the first time around.
The inference on the phone today is that we could be looking at upwards of £100K to upgrade the line - we're on the lowest power and the transformer is very small currently.  
I'm heartbroken; not only have we spent several thousands (tens of) since they gave an affordable quote on surveys and fees, but this feels like The Dream going up in smoke.  I now have to wait another 4-6 weeks for a decision. I've logged a complaint on the basis two people worked on the quote last year and accepted the load, now one chap has reviewed it and says 'no'. 
Appreciate there's probably nothing I can do but has anyone got any ideas of what else I could try / who else I could talk to etc please?

At those price I would tell the grid to take a walk and do a full off grid. Do you have plenty of space for PV? And a generator for mid winter.g

• Like 2

Agree with @JohnMo, if it’s going to be anywhere near what they have indicated, go offgrid.  

+ you’re building passive anyway

+ you’re in a sunny part of country

+ no overhead wires

+ no energy bills

+ no power cuts

approach it as an opportunity or a hurdle to overcome.   Some build 100%off grid by choice.  Don’t give up on the dream.  It’s still doable.  While you’re waiting the 4-6 weeks start speaking to solar & battery storage firms and those here who know more about the off grid stuff.  So when the quote comes in you have choices.

• Like 1

It really should not be that much you only pay for your part of the upgrade not the village or street as per the link from garrymartin. 

10 hours ago, garrymartin said:

The whole charging structure changed on 1st April 2023 - you have to pay for extension assets (connection) but should not have to pay for reinforcement assets (cable and transformer upgrades).

https://connections.nationalgrid.co.uk/significant-code-review/

Thank you for this - how can I tell whether it's classed as extension or reinforcement, as clearly it's better for me if it comes under the latter ... should I be asking them to increase supply provision to my existing home here perhaps (as new build is in garden)?

Be careful that when I asked National Grid (Western Power) for an estimate, they included all the network reinforcements on my estimate. When I challenged that, they said they always include them on a desk-based estimate and I'd need to formally request the connection to get the more accurate cost that would just cover the extension assets. Seems to me to be a mechanism for putting people off that don't know about the charging structure changes...

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, New to this said:

Thank you for this - how can I tell whether it's classed as extension or reinforcement, as clearly it's better for me if it comes under the latter ... should I be asking them to increase supply provision to my existing home here perhaps (as new build is in garden)?

Regardless the new legislation states you don’t pay for the reinforcement just the extension assets. It’s a new connection to a new property (demand). Here’s a link to the full decision. My first quote £26.5k which I contested and this reduced £5k as they admitted they’d made an error. The final bill was £450. 

IMG_1969.thumb.jpeg.7d56272ee38ef0046a305518dd7b106d.jpeg

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2022-05/Access SCR - Final Decision.pdf

Edited by Kelvin
  • Sad 1