Does this block retaining wall look right?

First time poster looking for a bit of advice 

We have had a builder build a number of retaining walls in our garden 

The finished walls are faced in reclaimed sandstone, and they are approx 3 feet in height, some areas slightly higher due to the sloping nature of the land. They are retaining large sections of earth. We are a little concerned as they have only been built single skin with blocks as can be seen 

Any thoughts from anyone with more experience than ourselves? 

48043071-69e0-4fc6-bd6a-818f03913485.jpeg

It should have a drainiage ditch against it filled with stones wrapped in geotextile with a drain at the bottom.

The geotextile will stop the drain clogging up.

I agree with comments above block flat, wider at the bottom.  Single skin without any drain is not good I think.

For extra points paint the back of the blocks with bitumin paint and/or seal with a membrane to keep out moisture and protect any finish on the blocks.

Edited by Mr Blobby
  • Like 1

Confused.

First picture is walls being built, without their facing stone?

Last picture in post above is finished walls, with the stone front, and filled in and grass growing. So some time later?  It's a bit late to ask if they are okay then?

• Like 1

Just now, ProDave said:

Confused.

First picture is walls being built, without their facing stone?

Last picture in post above is finished walls, with the stone front, and filled in and grass growing. So some time later?  It's a bit late to ask if they are okay then?

You are correct, it’s all done and finished, I just posted first photo to show single skin block wall 

Its too late to do anything now 😂😂😂😂

We aren’t builders/landscapers so assumed things were being done well 

But apparently not 

I guess I was just looking for confirmation as to whether it looks like it’s been done to a good safe standard 

I had a Google and I had read that over 450mm high, blocks should be lay on side or double skin 

I was unsure as to whether the sandstone facing provided structural support and would almost class as a second skin, as like I say I’m not a builder or landscaper. I’m pretty decent with Google tho 😂😂😂

How deep is the stone skin? Is it tied in? The 2 skins together might make a fair wall. I remember when building my not-much-more-than-1200mm retaining wall to an SE's dwg it was (/felt) HUGE at the base (?685mm?). Remember thinking that if I really wanted to survive a war I could just try burrowing behind the wall. What you show looks very spindly in comparison.

29 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

I’m not sure if it’s tied in or the depth of the stone facing if I’m entirely honest 

Like I say just a bit concerned that block wall is only single skin, whilst retaining a lot of earth 

Fingers crossed it holds up as too late to make any changes now 

It may be prudent to have an independant structural surveyor write a report for you.

Show them images of the build process if possible, along with the written quote from the builder.

Explain to them your concerns.

6 hours ago, Steve06 said:

It may be prudent to have an independant structural surveyor write a report for you.

Show them images of the build process if possible, along with the written quote from the builder.

Explain to them your concerns.

Quote didn’t have a lot of detail unfortunately 

I guess there’s lot of specifics that are now probably unknown/buried 

I was thinking of looking at getting independent report done 

I don’t have a lot of confidence that it’s going to last, only time will tell!

3 hours ago, twice round the block said:

Should look like this and then lay concrete blocks on their side, plus engineering bricks  below ground level 20240127_142505.thumb.jpg.878eab7a29d82a83449ede8ef73fc950.jpg

Yeah I’m thinking that as a minimum the blocks should have been laid on the side. Seems to be reoccurring feedback. Bit frustrating that it hasn’t been done properly first time round. We will just have to see how it lasts………

My front garden retaining wall ('inherited' as quite new in 1987) was, I am sure, built as cheaply as it could be, inline with all other 'renovations on the house. I am convinced it is 225 brick only, and it retains between 1200 and 1800 over about 10+m. It has no weep holes, and it's fine. It shouldn't be, but it is, and if (as per my earlier Q) you wall is actually as strong as 112 brick and (??) 100-150 stone then it may fare as well as mine still is. I suspect mine will last till after I am dead, which is all I need. Is that stone laid dry, or can I see recessed mortar? That (given I cannot see a batter or 'lean-back') may be an important issue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

My front garden retaining wall ('inherited' as quite new in 1987) was, I am sure, built as cheaply as it could be, inline with all other 'renovations on the house. I am convinced it is 225 brick only, and it retains between 1200 and 1800 over about 10+m. It has no weep holes, and it's fine. It shouldn't be, but it is, and if (as per my earlier Q) you wall is actually as strong as 112 brick and (??) 100-150 stone then it may fare as well as mine still is. I suspect mine will last till after I am dead, which is all I need. Is that stone laid dry, or can I see recessed mortar? That (given I cannot see a batter or 'lean-back') may be an important issue.

Yeah it’s not just dry stack stone 

It is I guessed mortared to the block 

I don’t think there’s any lean-back at all