Top level of trench fill concrete.

LaChab

Sorry for such a probably odd question, but I can't find the answer on the forum, and pictures I've seen don't seem very conclusive.

Is the topsoil (organic matter) cleared before digging stepped trench fill foundations, or later, and just inside the trenches, after the concrete has been put in and dried.

I'd like to know as it would seem to make a difference of at least an extra row of blocks if the topsoil is cleared first.

Any guidance much appreciated.

41 minutes ago, LaChab said:

Sorry for such a probably odd question, but I can't find the answer on the forum, and pictures I've seen don't seem very conclusive.

Is the topsoil (organic matter) cleared before digging stepped trench fill foundations, or later, and just inside the trenches, after the concrete has been put in and dried.

I'd like to know as it would seem to make a difference of at least an extra row of blocks if the topsoil is cleared first.

Any guidance much appreciated.

I cleared all the topsoil on my plot where founds and slab were going, it’s much easier to clear with the digger before you start the trenches and otherwise it’s likely to get washed into the trench if it rains.

If doing trench fill dont forget to make provision for drains and water main as trying to get them trough the concrete later is a right pain.

I know someone who completely forget the water main until after he’d put walls up. 

I cleared the topsoil from the footprint before I started, a/ to reduce height ready for insulation and concrete b/ topsoil is more likely to give way when trying to keep trenches clear. Yes list and mark out all the utility trenches at the same time.