Hello, this forum has been so helpful over the years but finally need some specific advice for myself.

To set the scene, we are due to exchange on a house (dormer bungalow) next week, it’s the classical worst house on the best street scenario, untouched in 50 years etc - we put plans in a few weeks ago so we could hopefully get started this summer, however our local council officer has blown a hole in it. We need to try urgently find out what we can do and are probably a week  away from the exchange. My architect is urgently seeking clarification from the council about what we can do, but thought a post here could help this fact finding. 

It’s sat in the green belt (but very built up) so she will only allow 30% / 180m3, whereas our plans are about 500m3. For context, the surrounding houses range from big to massive, and I’m confident a lot of them have done more than 30percent. Neighbour to the right has done various extensions (up and over garage + rear single storey) and our left neighbour is actually a rear neighbours back garden. 

I have posted the as is, and proposed front and back - we’re thinking PD might be the solution as the land around the house is big and will ensure we don’t hit the 50% limit. The new double porch on the front i think is a non starter (I know it’s not under PD), but I wondered if we could get the rest. 

Architect initially thoughts are:

Garage we could re roof to a gable so long as it was lower than the existing ridge - aware may need to step it in towards the boundary. Would AA allow this as an alternative, or would the roof have to remain flat?

Single storey rear to left can be done as within PD, and as the garage is already there it wouldn’t fall under wraparound 

Double storey can be done but reduced 1m to make it 3m deep - aware that the eaves may need to be dropped to the existing, but he thinks the dormer (original on house) could allow the eaves to remain as per the plans. 

Additional points - dormer bungalow no conservation area, no previous planning so PD rights there too

We’re confident if we went in for planning for the porch and garage, they’d revoke PD so seems a non starter too

Any help or advice would be most welcomed.

Thank you, 

Cedar Cottage 2421-303 Proposed Elevations.pdf Cedar Cottage 2421-302 Proposed Elevations.pdf 24_01317_HOU-EXISTING_ELEVATIONS-7823031.pdf

Edited by Mitchell14
Add context

It very much depends on your local authority.

If you're sure of your 1948 footprint then you can use PD as a lever. We originally applied for an additional 25 sq m with a roofing change (gables but not a loft conversion). It was rejected on GB % grounds plus "harm to the green belt" due to a change in "bulk"

Ultimately we then put in a hideous PD application to extend every way we possibly could in every direction to give us a total of ~34 sq m. Once granted we then used this as leverage to go back with a "less harmful" application

Result - we ended up with an additional 30 sq m

Regards

Tet

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...