Strong enough or not?

I've had some v. helpful advice today on this thread, but I have one question I can't yet find an answer to:

With a 65mm semi-dry floor screed (sharp sand with a ratio of 4:1) with a decoupling mat on it and on the mat 10mm ceramic tiles, will the screed be strong enough not to misbehave what with the weight of bodies walking backwards and forwards on the tile floor? I read this earlier:

"These membranes excel at absorbing stress, effectively neutralising tensions between the substrate and the tiles. By doing so, they prevent stress cracks from transferring through to the finished tiled surface, ensuring the structural integrity of the flooring."

Any thoughts on whether a 65mm semi-dry screed can stand the strain?

26 minutes ago, LiamJones said:

How long is semi dry? 

25 minutes ago, LiamJones said:

How long is semi dry? 

25 minutes ago, LiamJones said:

Semi-dry refers to the fact that water can be added to the mix to create a smoother surface finish; unlike the dry biscuit mix (8:1) which has no water added to the sharp sand as it is moist enough. I'm not sure if this answers your Q as it is not entirely clear to me.

I've posted this before but take care screeding through doorways. You end up with the screed in two rooms joined by the narrow bit in the doorway. The screed in each room can shrink towards its centre causing a crack at the doorway. The crack is unlikely to be straight across but may curve significantly into one room  and propagate through tiles/stone. The solution is some kind of expansion joint (aka deliberate crack) at the doorway. You can arrange it to be under a grout line or sill piece.

In my case a curved crack propagated through stone laid in a Opus pattern so several pieces were cracked.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

We placed thin hardboard pieces in all the doorways. Despite we had one slight crack appear running away from one of the doorways. We’ve also put tile expansion joints in every doorway and across the width of the large open plan area. 

• Like 1