Plant Hire Insurance

My self build insurance policy doesn't cover plant hire. I need to get a telehandler in a few weeks and could get one with a driver, but that's expensive. The bricklayer has a ticket for one already. I can find a company willing to hire it and they state theirs has a code that if it isn't entered, it can't be driven off. But what about damage/ / fire / public liability etc though? 

Question: Would you hire for a week and hope nothing happens and get away with it or insist on insurance to cover yourself and get one with a driver? 

Thanks! 

This comes up over an again 

If your. Brickie wants to drive it Let him hire it and your settle his invoices 

When he wrecks it or hits something it’s you who will be billed Your Brickies will take no notice of loading limits 

They will put the brick and blocks in the most convenient place 

Ive built two houses now and hired a bumpa hoist each time Two people can shift a pack of block in 20 minutes 

I let the timber kit company hire the tele-handler then didn’t let anyone else but their guys drive it other than the scaffolders who would start using it the minute my back was turned so I had to remove the keys and keep it locked. They keep the original codes it seems as there was a common code with all the JCB kit that every trade that came to site knew. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

Question: Would you hire for a week and hope nothing happens and get away with it or insist on insurance to cover yourself and get one with a driver? 

Every hire company I've dealt with will either insist on seeing an insurance certificate to cover plant hire before opening an account and check that it has enough cover for the plant being hired, or they will offer you insurance, which will cost you. It would be pretty stupid for a hire company not to ask for proof of insurance in this business - one company i have an account with insisted on speaking to the insurers directly even after seeing the insurance certificate because they've been conned before.

Question is whether you want to take on the risk of a piece of machinery worth at least £50k and any damage it could cause?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nod said:

This comes up over an again 

If your. Brickie wants to drive it Let him hire it and your settle his invoices 

When he wrecks it or hits something it’s you who will be billed Your Brickies will take no notice of loading limits 

They will put the brick and blocks in the most convenient place 

Ive built two houses now and hired a bumpa hoist each time Two people can shift a pack of block in 20 minutes 

Bumpa hoist looks worth looking into. Thanks!