Permitted Development / LDC's for window frame colour change - What would you do?

Mash

Hi all,

New user, so please be kind!

Been on a deep dive to find more information on this, but I'm going round in circles and just need to make a decision asap or it will disrupt the build timeline.

Our 1930s detached house is not listed and not in a conservation area. 

We have white uPVC windows and want to change them to "mid-grey" aluminium / alu-clad frames. Righty or wrongly, I'm just not a huge fan of bright white window frames...

I emailed the planners at the council who confirmed there were no Permitted Development restrictions on our street and that planning permission would not be required. However, that we could submit a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC) "should we wish, for peace of mind"

All of the houses in the immediate vicinity have white uPVC, but there are houses with new anthracite grey or sage green window frames in the surrounding area, including further down our street. As far as I can tell, none of them have submitted a planning application or LDC. 

So far, so good - we think we can just make the change under PD and not need to submit an LDC. 

However, we have a difficult neighbour about 10 houses down who enjoys making life difficult for anyone submitting a planning application etc. She has nothing better to do than curtain twitch and we're concerned that if she sees us with nice shiny (hugely expensive) grey window frames, she'll kick up a fuss with the council.

I also understand PD legislation suggests replacement materials should be of a "similar appearance".   How annoyingly vague.  Is grey "similar" to white? Which grey?  Surely it would say "the same as" if they wanted to enforce strict control?

So, our options are:  

1) Submit an LDC 

• We get a definitive answer, but...
  • They may disagree with the informal opinion of the planner in the email and suggest it's not PD. 
    • Could appeal the LDC if unfavourable, but with the lead time on windows we don't really have the time for this.
    • So, we end up having to put in white windows.
  • Potential to negotiate which "grey" during the determination process
  • Seems massive overkill just to change window frame colour. 
  • No-one else in the area seems to have applied for an LDC for this.
  • Capitulating to an imaginary complaint from a neighbour.

2) Don't submit an LDC

• The informal email opinion from the council says we don't need to submit an LDC
  • Put in the windows we want, but "at (very expensive) risk"
  • Live in constant "fear" of a nosy neighbour complaint, but...
  • Can apply retrospectively for an LDC
  • Can also appeal retrospectively if needed
  • Can repaint the windows if we lose an appeal (though this is a last resort and we'd rather not)

I keep bouncing from one option to the other.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Mash

• Mash changed the title to Permitted Development / LDC's for window frame colour change - What would you do?

If it’s not listed or in a conservation area then it’s your decision what colour you want your windows, door, curtains etc. 10 doors away isn’t a neighbour either.

• Like 2

You have confirmation from the council on your position so crack on, even if she did complain it has to be a viable complaint (not I don’t like it) ignore her.

• Like 1

Maybe it depends on how fast your LDC is and on the delivery time for your windows.

Is one strategy to file for the LDC and get an order in the window queue at the same time subject to your final decision on colour?

• Like 1

Hi all, thank you for the quick replies

1 hour ago, markc said:

If it’s not listed or in a conservation area then it’s your decision what colour you want your windows, door, curtains etc. 10 doors away isn’t a neighbour either.

35 minutes ago, joe90 said:

You have confirmation from the council on your position so crack on, even if she did complain it has to be a viable complaint (not I don’t like it) ignore her.

Thanks for the replies, very reassuring! If we were listed / CA, then she might have a point, but we're not. 

12 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Maybe it depends on how fast your LDC is and on the delivery time for your windows.

Is one strategy to file for the LDC and get an order in the window queue at the same time subject to your final decision on colour?

Good suggestion Alan. I'll have a chat to the builder and window companies to see how far into the order we can change the colour (if needed). 

Consider this from the Permitted Devlopment order:

Permitted development

A.  The enlargement, improvement or other alteration of a dwellinghouse.

As well as under minor operations:

Permitted development

C.  The painting of the exterior of any building or work.

So if you can paint the exterior walls of your house vivid purple, the improvement from white to grey windows shouldn't get your "neighbour" upset!

• Like 2