Smelly Shelly

I’ve got issues with zigbee relays in cupboards that no matter how many routers I add just can’t get a reliable signal . Thinking about swapping them out for Shelly relays . My WiFi is as solid as my bed sheets on a Sunday morning . 
Anyone experience any Shelly related issues like dropping connection or just not activating ?

2 hours ago, Pocster said:

I’ve got issues with zigbee relays in cupboards that no matter how many routers I add just can’t get a reliable signal . Thinking about swapping them out for Shelly relays . My WiFi is as solid as my bed sheets on a Sunday morning . 
Anyone experience any Shelly related issues like dropping connection or just not activating ?

You can get Shelly’s with a LAN connection (RJ45 socket). 

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You can get Shelly’s with a LAN connection (RJ45 socket). 

Funnily enough I was just looking at that.

I think my Wifi should be more than capable for this application than zigbee.

Assume you were indicating the shelly pro 4PM?

Could just stick that in the cupboard with a poe feed - then wire the actuators off that.....

3 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

have any of you come across a PoE smoke sensor and/or other PoE sensors as well?

You can make most things poe anyway . What sensors are you looking for apart from smoke ?

Posted (edited)

Just for anyone else! - what a fun day.

Documentation suggests Shelly doesn't work with Asus AiMesh - which of course I have.

Then Shelly gen 3 doesn't need CoAP so should not be an issue. My shelly is gen 3.

Then ( of course! ) shelly HA integration mustn't be the HACs version ( for gods sake someone remove it! as it is obsolete ! ).

But if you don't know and install it you then have the fun of trying to uninstall it as it fights you!.

Once you win you then install the shelly 'normal' integration and then the (expletive deleted)er works!

Edited by Pocster
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2024 at 16:42, Pocster said:

You can make most things poe anyway . What sensors are you looking for apart from smoke ?

Hi again, I look for a PoE smoke detector and CO detector.

Or if there is a PoE hub of some sort that reads from these battery powered detectors wirelessly (not Wifi) but some low power wifi. A hub that can be accessed remotely or send notifications.
I don't need a proprietary system that can only be accessed with a proprietary app.

You see I also want to install smoke sensors in my shed and in the garden office but I don't have network wiring in there.
If I go for a regular smoke detector and if I am away how do I know if any of the neighbours is going to react to the alarm?
If it's at night then no one will see the smoke. When fire shows up it's probably too late anyway.
I think there are some better sensors that look detect temperature difference rather than smoke. I think that's a better solution as it gives you as early warning as possible.

I would prefer a notification then I check the cameras and call a fire brigade.

Edited by JohnBishop

5 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

Hi again, I look for a PoE smoke detector and CO detector.

Or if there is a PoE hub of some sort that reads from these battery powered detectors wirelessly (not Wifi) but some low power wifi. A hub that can be accessed remotely or send notifications.
I don't need a proprietary system that can only be accessed with a proprietary app.

You see I also want to install smoke sensors in my shed and in the garden office but I don't have network wiring in there.
If I go for a regular smoke detector and if I am away how do I know if any of the neighbours is going to react to the alarm?
If it's at night then no one will see the smoke. When fire shows up it's probably too late anyway.
I think there are some better sensors that look detect temperature difference rather than smoke. I think that's a better solution as it gives you as early warning as possible.

I would prefer a notification then I check the cameras and call a fire brigade.

Zigbee would do that for wireless not WiFi .

But as everything is poe then you would need maybe home assistant running on a device to achieve what you want . An old laptop or raspberry pi would do it . Home assistant has a steep learning curve though .

Edited by Pocster
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pocster said:

Zigbee would do that for wireless not WiFi .

But as everything is poe then you would need maybe home assistant running on a device to achieve what you want . An old laptop or raspberry pi would do it . Home assistant has a steep learning curve though .

I like the Raspberry Pi idea. I have 4 generations of them, some can be repurposed exactly for that.