Hi

Hello all. 

I'm Jon. I am in the Highlands of Scotland and I have a Sentinel Kinetic Plus B 443028. 

My machine is 9yrs old and has stopped working, I am a fairly capable home DIYer and have stripped the unit down, but I have my limitations. I'm going to trawl through the forum to see if my issues are discussed, if not I'll create a post of my own so please be nice 😉

Jon. 

• Like 1

Welcome Jon.

This is THE forum for people like us. We are all nice people on here, well mostly! Why not start a new topic - 'Repairing the Sentinel Kinetic Plus' and share the story so far. Any ideas why it stopped working? For it to fail completely usually means a fault common to both fans - so the controller somewhere perhaps or it maybe that if one fan fails the other is prevented from running by the controller. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 05/04/2024 at 07:12, MikeSharp01 said:

Welcome Jon.

This is THE forum for people like us. We are all nice people on here, well mostly! Why not start a new topic - 'Repairing the Sentinel Kinetic Plus' and share the story so far. Any ideas why it stopped working? For it to fail completely usually means a fault common to both fans - so the controller somewhere perhaps or it maybe that if one fan fails the other is prevented from running by the controller. 

Hi. I have jumped on the back of this TOPIC as it seemed to fit with what I am ddoing now. I think that one of the fans, the extract fan, may have failed although it looks absolutely fine. Hopefully i will get a response on that thread, I didn't want to start a new one if that one would help. If I don't get a response I will create my own topic. Thanks again, Jon. 

Edited by Jonro99
To fix broken hyperlink

The system isn't running at all. The PCB blew, I had it repaired but it still isn't working.

38 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

put a paper tissue over it and it will be obvious if its working. then  a tea towel to see f there is much suction.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Jonro99 said:

The PCB blew, I had it repaired but it still isn't working.

OK so what blew the PCB one wonders. Does your board look like this:

image.thumb.png.c6a6b6f4f20ee111f287613a063b5cd6.png

Found this here: www.uk-spares.com/ventilation-spares/heat-recovery/vent-axia/441486/vent-axia-497808 but not worth getting unless we can identify the cause of the blow out!

1 hour ago, Jonro99 said:

The PCB blew, I had it repaired but it still isn't working.

Can your repairer point to what May have caused the fault?

19 minutes ago, joe90 said:

the repairer isn't sure, it was an ic chip. 

17126023908936170633447084163633.thumb.jpg.3c24dc75e6d567bcdd0afbcc3a0fb666.jpg

41 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

OK so what blew the PCB one wonders. Does your board look like this:

19 minutes ago, joe90 said:

image.thumb.png.c6a6b6f4f20ee111f287613a063b5cd6.png

Found this here: www.uk-spares.com/ventilation-spares/heat-recovery/vent-axia/441486/vent-axia-497808 but not worth getting unless we can identify the cause of the blow out!

We aren't sure what blew it. Prior to it stopping working the panel showed an error code of 02 which is the extract fan. It was running very very loud so I turned it off at the breaker board. Turned it back on 24hrs later and it ran fine, then I noticed it was very quiet so I checked the display and it was blank. Went up in the loft and internal glass fuse had blown but so had one of the components. It was IC that blew. It think the chip in the above photo is the one that was replaced. I spoke to uk spares earlier today, they have 6 in stock. 

My board looks like the picture in the attachments. 

IMG_20240408_195113_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20240408_200044_(1080_x_1080_pixel).thumb.jpg.a236f1ba1a07ae5ae1495d3c82bc32f0.jpg

That is my board, one of the pre 2016 ones. 20240408_200308.thumb.jpg.4ed97f4a8f2894d1c635584e9d849f4c.jpg

one of these components blew before the internal fuse could protect the board. 

Now when I connect the board back up, with just the power to the board for the panel and then powering the main board (no components connected) it makes a terrible noise, which I think is coming from the black box at the top of the board next to the ribbon connector.

Posted (edited)

Video

The above link takes you to a one drive video of the noise the board is making. At this point the components were plugged in, when i turned the system off, removed the components the noise became constant rather than pulsing. 

Edited by Jonro99
Add information

That's a relay - the black block, so assume it is turning on and off very fast if its making a noise - won't let me watch the video for some reason. The chip that blew up is part of the low voltage power conditioning circuit I suspect. The little yellow block close to it is a giveaway for that. The if we could know the number of the chip replaced we could confirm that.

9 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

That's a relay - the black block, so assume it is turning on and off very fast if its making a noise - won't let me watch the video for some reason. The chip that blew up is part of the low voltage power conditioning circuit I suspect. The little yellow block close to it is a giveaway for that. The if we could know the number of the chip replaced we could confirm that.

I can ask the guy tomorrow which chip it was. Do you have a wiring schematic for that board?

9 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

No, just trying to work out what might have happened to cause the problem in the first place.

It's appreciated. 

In my very limited little brain, does the low voltage circuit have something to do with the fans when they are on the 'normal airflow' setting, and then when you increase demand to boost or purge the system it gets a higher voltage? That may explain why the fans were running at full pelt before it blew, if the low voltage circuit was damaged. Then the overrun caused the internal fuse to blow?

That doesn't explain the new noise from the relay though, I'm not sure replacing that will fix the issue. I can send the file of the noise via email if that helps?