How often should I: (a) clean; and (b) replace, a G7 filter

I have a Brink Flair 400 servings 5 bed house in a fairly highly polluted part of London. Although we are in suburbia we have several dual carriageways near us, and not far from a triple carriageway. When I inspect the filter, usually every 6 to 7 weeks, it is pretty dirty with the black stuff. I hoovered it for the first 8 inspections , and tried washing it with warm water once.

I’ve just installed a new one, it being my third, meaning I had the first two for about 10 months each.

How often should I: (a) clean; and (b) replace, the G7 filter though? What is best practice in a high pollution area?

• Like 1

Filters in my MVHR are recommended to be changed every 6 months and the heat exchanger cleaned/hoovered yearly. Sounds like you should consider replacing more frequently - also email the manufacturer with pictures and see what their technical team recommend above and beyond normal cleaning. 

I have PAUL Novus 450 MVHR for a 5 bed house. I don't live a a city environment but in a semi-rural environment but near to a busy road.

PAUL recommend changing the filters every 3 - 6 months.  They are synthetic material/paper filters that cannot be cleaned, so have to be replaced.

• I change the inlet F7 filter every 4 months  approximately as they get very dirty - see photo
  • I change the G4 exhaust filter every 2 years or so

IMG_20180815_111954976.jpg

10 hours ago, dpmiller said:

is there any pressure-drop or flow monitoring on your unit?

Flow monitoring looks like this:

IMG_7664.thumb.jpg.a996c494ea9080d9715be988c008d3ee.jpg

In addition to tracking flowrate supplied as per the above graph, it also tracks flow rate of the exhaust. The peaks shown here must be when we boost, although I'm not sure why it is showing three different flowrates: 225, 250 and 310 as i would have expected just two: our standard rate and our boost rate. Delving into this a bit deeper, I see that the unit is in "automatic mode" and that this seems to move the ventilation between three settings, 1, 2 and 3. The boost is definitely working because when we press the boost button, we hear the machine (whereas when it is not in boost mode it is virtually silent). The exhaust graph looks similar. 

As for pressure, i believe I can check the current pressure levels on the unit itself, but not as a graph of historic data.

10 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Is fan speed under closed-loop cantrol?

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by this?

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by this?

some systems just display the "programmed" fan speed whereas some can I believe alter the fan speed to keep airflow constant as filter restriction rises. Seing a marked change in fan speed would hint at the filter being blocked in this case.