How to fill / seal gaps between skirting and hard floor?

embra

I'd like to fill and seal these gaps between our skirting boards and hard floor. They vary between 0 and 5mm.

I'd like to paint whatever filler material is used to match the skirting.

Ideally whatever is used would form an air seal to stop any draughts too.

I'd thought of masking the floor align the line of skirting, and filling with decorators caulk finished at a 90° angle to the floor. Then painting as normal.

Any other ideas? Not sure if there is any more robust putty etc that would do the trick?

20240330_101856.thumb.jpg.1978ca16c19096f129431ad11b74abf6.jpg

The smaller gaps should remain as they are to allow expansion and contraction of the wooden floor boards. If you seal the completely it will look great for a short while and the look rubbish with a few weather changes.

3 hours ago, stu w said:

Orcon f , it does not crack or shrink like decorators caulk etc 

Thanks for the recommendation, does it take paint ok?

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

The smaller gaps should remain as they are to allow expansion and contraction of the wooden floor boards. If you seal the completely it will look great for a short while and the look rubbish with a few weather changes.

The flooring is SPC, which apparently has much lower thermal expansion than wood / laminate etc. 

I think I'm willing to risk giving it a try on some of the larger gaps, worst case I can always rake it out if it cracks.

2 hours ago, embra said:

Hmm. Exactly what I was going to ask. I have used it a lot, but always hidden, so I have never tried to paint it. Anyone tried painting Orcon F?

8 hours ago, embra said:
11 hours ago, stu w said:

Orcon f , it does not crack or shrink like decorators caulk etc 

Orcon F would be good as a bead on the floor to bed new skirtings into, but as it stays sticky I'd not want to paint it. Personally I'd just use a flexible caulk from a reputable brand.