DIY Brick extension

Hello, 

I've just built an extension on the side of my sons house completely DIY, neither of us have any building experience.

We started with getting a building notice with the local council and finished with building control sign off last week.

We followed building regulations and interpreted all the new ones and we made a youtube video of every step including detailed explanations of how we did it and how to comply with the latest building regulations.

I hope this will be of some help to anyone else in my position (starting as a complete beginner) or maybe we could get feedback from any experts, because we are now planning a large rear extension on my house.

Here is a link to the first video; foundations and drains, and from there you can find; up to DPC, walls, roof, doors/windows, radiators etc etc.

I hope it helps, Terry.

If you want anymore info about how we (DIY ers) did it, just ask, it is great when we can help!

Great first step and shows it’s not rocket science, well done.  My only comment is I don’t like building notice, I prefer full plans, so you don’t get any surprises (maybe).

The building notice doesn't mean no plans (although for our project we didn't need full plans) it just means no requirement for planning permission.

So you can still get plans drawn up if necessary.

This was our next step, up to DPC. What do you think?

Terry.

PS Our Mortar mixing was a bit too stiff to start and made it difficult. We did get better and better later on in the project.

10 hours ago, Terry DIY said:

The building notice doesn't mean no plans (although for our project we didn't need full plans) it just means no requirement for planning permission.

No, Building Notice vs Full Plans is nothing to do with Planning Permission.

Well done, will have a look at further videos.

I do think that you are slightly confusing things as regards the type of BR approval you have.  As Temp says above this is nothing to do with planning permission it is simply that with a building notice plans (not Planning Permission) are not required the BCO will visit at key points in the build process to check things out.  Full plans BR approval is as it says on the tin, plans are required, which are signed off by BC before any construction starts.

• Like 1