Service Battens

Rick K

This may seem like a stupid question! Our timber frame is currently going up and we have gone for an extra 50mm layer of PIR to external walls. This will then have service battens at 600mm centres. Does this work have to be completed before 1st fix electrics and plumbing starts? I'm trying to juggle start dates but keep the momentum going on the build. I've got posi joists throughout first floor so that can be worked on and internal walls are not an issue either.

1 hour ago, Rick K said:

This may seem like a stupid question! Our timber frame is currently going up and we have gone for an extra 50mm layer of PIR to external walls. This will then have service battens at 600mm centres. Does this work have to be completed before 1st fix electrics and plumbing starts? I'm trying to juggle start dates but keep the momentum going on the build. I've got posi joists throughout first floor so that can be worked on and internal walls are not an issue either.

Yes all outside walls and service battens in place before first fix.

I have tried once, to first fix before outer walls complete, you just have to leave lots of ends dangling to be completed later when the walls are ready, right PITA, never again.

The one thing the electrician can do before then is get all the cables exiting the walls e.g for outside sockets, outside lights, ASHP etc, get all those through the wall so they can be sealed up as the final insulation layer goes on and you should then be able to carry on without making any more holes in the walls.

Could be a busy week coming up then! :) Thanks for the advice, it's not something you immediately think about with the excitement of the kit arriving and trying to get cracking with things.

2 hours ago, Rick K said:

Just consider any walls where and insulated 15mm pipe(s) may drop down, as those battens may need to be 45 / 50mm vs 25mm. 

2 hours ago, stu w said:

50mm pir external ?? 

Sorry I read that as you were using the PIR externally 🤦‍♂️.

All your questions answered,  might be worth just reminding your plumbers ,electricians not to poke holes through the vcl once it's fitted , at times they don't understand the importance of the air tight barrier especially if the service gap is small 

Edited by stu w