Letsbuild2

Building is underway 5mtr x 4.8 mtr concrete block constructed garden room , built within 1mtr of boundary mostly of non combustible materials,  permitted development,  am I ok to put flat roof made of timber and felted under permitted development given its within 1mtr of boundary 

1 minute ago, letsbuild2 said:

Cheers,  yes all concrete blocks,  

What about plasterboard inside can I use standard or does it have to be fire proof pink plasterboard,  given the building is concrete what is the correct thing to do , can you advise me on this please 

Inside doesn't matter so much, it's all about spread of fire on the outside. And the phrase is "predominantly" non combustible. Open to interpretation somewhat, but you do not need pink board. I emailed my plans to the local council who said was ok. Then suggested I apply for certification after completion to assuage any future issues. Mine was block walls, actually forming boundary on one side, timber and GRP roof, door and window. Don't forget you max eaves height of 2.5m.

Edited by Conor

Thanks , valuable information for me this , builder is conscious of height 2.4 metres,  can you help me though,  eaves height is this the top of flat roof or roof timbers , can you explain what eaves height is exactly as I am confused in my understanding what exactly is ment by this . Cheers 

4 minutes ago, letsbuild2 said:

Thanks , valuable information for me this , builder is conscious of height 2.4 metres,  can you help me though,  eaves height is this the top of flat roof or roof timbers , can you explain what eaves height is exactly as I am confused in my understanding what exactly is ment by this . Cheers 

Is it 2.5 from ground level to top of flat roof this is my basic understanding 

44 minutes ago, letsbuild2 said:

Is it 2.5 from ground level to top of flat roof this is my basic understanding 

Its from the underside of the top roof covering, at the point of where the wall meets, measured from the local ground level. Does not include your trims.

Edited by Conor

36 minutes ago, markc said:

I have always worked on eaves height being the tip of the slates or tiles etc. making it the top edge of lowest part of the actual roof.

Thanks

33 minutes ago, Conor said:

Its from the underside of the top roof covering, at the point of where the wall meets, measured from the local ground level. Does not include your trims.

Great thanks 

On 28/03/2024 at 09:01, letsbuild2 said:

Thanks

So I've got a building of concrete blocks , I'm putting 6x2 timber then 18 mm OSB board and felt , so is the measurement from ground to underside of 6x2 timber , is that where I get the 2.5 mtr from ,? 

4 hours ago, letsbuild2 said:

So I've got a building of concrete blocks , I'm putting 6x2 timber then 18 mm OSB board and felt , so is the measurement from ground to underside of 6x2 timber , is that where I get the 2.5 mtr from ,? 

No in your case it's to the underside of the felt.

• Like 2

Just a couple more points.

Nobody from the local authority will be out measuring your building after completion.

It will take a complaint by a neighbour / passerby thwt either really doesn't like the building, or knows the policies and can tell it's more than 2.5m from ground level.

Finally, if it's few mm higher than the limit, nobody is going to make you rectify it. A metre, yes, 10mm, no.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Conor said:

Nobody from the local authority will be out measuring your building after completion.

It will take a complaint by a neighbour / passerby thwt either really doesn't like the building, or knows the policies and can tell it's more than 2.5m from ground level.

Finally, if it's few mm higher than the limit, nobody is going to make you rectify it. A metre, yes, 10mm, no.

Thanks , I think it's going to be pretty near if not bang on, but i been overthinking it all and woke up in night thinking what If they made me take it down because its 20mm to high 🤣 I've had bricklayers in to do all blockwork so sure we'll be OK,  thanks very much for your replies they really are appreciated,  cheers 

On 31/03/2024 at 07:51, Conor said:

On 31/03/2024 at 08:00, letsbuild2 said:

Thanks , I think it's going to be pretty near if not bang on, but i been overthinking it all and woke up in night thinking what If they made me take it down because its 20mm to high 🤣 I've had bricklayers in to do all blockwork so sure we'll be OK,  thanks very much for your replies they really are appreciated,  cheers 

Hi the building is within 1mtr of the boundary built on a sloping garden so the front is 2.5mtrs from original ground level to the tip of the flat  roof is that the official measurement , so as the garden slopes away obviously the building is more than 2.5 mtrs from ground would they measure it from the front , when will I stop worrying about all this , 😀 I don't expect anyone to complain but with all the investment I'm keen to comply.  appreciate any further advice 

how much were your foundations? Im probably going to be building something of similar size and was going to get a gang in to do the concrete parts, but have no idea what a ball park quote would be.