Preparing for Tiling

The plasterer is pretty much done now, so the next external trade I have is the tiler who I am currently looking for but thinking about what I need done before they start. The rooms to be done are:

• Bathrooms (floors, walls to just over window cill level and shower cubicles to above head height)
  • Loo (floor possibly wall to just over window cill level)
  • Kitchen / Family room (floor)
  • Utility (floor)

I am trying to work out the jobs I need to get done before the tiler can start and think the list looks like:

• Bathrooms:
  1. plumb 110mm soil pipe to toilet position but not fit toilet(?)
  2. plumb shower feeds to shower bar
  3. tank shower area
  4. fit shower tray and waste
  5. plumb shower waste to soil stack
  6. fit & plumb bath with box-in frame but not fit panel (v-groove timber)
  7. plumb (feed and waste) basin as far as is behind tiles but not fit basin unless it is solely wall mounted (i.e. not vanity or pedestal)
  • Loo:
  1. fit any plumbing connection points that are to stick through the tiling
  2. understand how waste will connect to stack connection in floor and make any adaptations needed
  • Kitchen / Family:
  1. trim island 'conduit' (110mm soil pipe used) to near flush with floor so it doesn't stick up too much above tile though careful to avoid allowing mopping water to enter this so worth being >1cm above finished tile level
  2. extend screed into the exterior door thresholds. this is because I had the screed done before fitting door steps or doors (wouldn't do that again)
  • Utility:
  1. fit door lining to cupboard
  2. extend screed into the exterior door threshold

Screed was fitted >12mo ago and I have already had the UFH flow higher than likely end use temperatures.

Any thoughts as to what I have overlooked?

Make sure all the walls are finished and grouted before any prep work is done to the floors They need prepping tiled grouted Then protecting till your ready to move in 

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, nod said:

Make sure all the walls are finished and grouted before any prep work is done to the floors They need prepping tiled grouted Then protecting till your ready to move in 

Am I right to think toilet bowl and basin pedestal don't get fitted until after tiling?

I would ensure you have any pipes or conduits in place but not trimmed all the way back (do that after the tiling)

Fit your toilets and pedestals after the tiling. If they get changed in the future you won't end up with holes in the tiling where you don't want them.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

Am I right to think toilet bowl and basin pedestal don't get fitted until after tiling?

Yes 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

I assume shower trays are a different matter though as they get tiled down to on the wall don't they?

Yes get your shower tray in and protected 

image.jpg

• Like 3