When to lay drains

Barny

Hi.

out build is set back 60m from the road and has to cross and culvert to get to the main sewer. We are going to have a pump to the boundary and then gravity from the boundary over the culvert and into the main sewer. All good.

except, I am struggling to find a main contractor and have national grid ready to put the TBS in. I don’t want to keep digging up over the culvert for fear someone might crack it with their mini digger.

is it sensible to put the services in over the culvert now (drain just from boundary to road with the pump etc from house to boundary to be done later once foundations are done)? Once the build work starts the culvert will be used for access so that will make putting services in tricky too?

also, I have a Anglian water approved drain person lined up for the road connection. I assume the contractor can do the rest as it is on private land?

I am eager to get on but don’t want to cause problems down the line.

We put the main sewer to boundary inspection chamber connection in right at the start of our build.  One of the best things we did, got all the roadside verge work out of the way in one go and I plumbed a temporary toilet into the boundary inspection chamber too which has been brilliant

A pump drain ouulet is very easy as you don't need to keep to precise lines and levels.

Usually the suppliers of pumps want to install them. But it is easy stuff.

Obv the pipes in to it have to be to falls.

I assume you need a day's storage volume in case of power cuts.

When you install? I can't  say, as you know the site.

Thanks all - really helpful.

is there any issue with build machinery driving over the new drain? It will only be 600mm deep to get over the culvert.

Sleeve the pipe in steel over the culvert, or encase in (hard, not lean) concrete. Standard practice for shallow pipes. And put in ducting for other services over the culvert now, even if not installing. for the rest of the run, make sure the pipe is nice and deep, and a good 300mm lower than everything else. So say 1200mm, then your water at 900mm, electric at 700mm or whatever.

11 hours ago, Barny said:

Thanks all - really helpful.

is there any issue with build machinery driving over the new drain? It will only be 600mm deep to get over the culvert.

no, stone it up well and you can drive 8 wheeler over it no problem.