Supporting the insulation rather than the pipe?

Standard practice seems to be to clip your plumbing pipes and then insulate the pipe up to the clip and then continue the insulation after it. Are there any regulations that would prevent you from supporting the insulation instead, so that the insulation can be continuous?

I see insulated clips online but they seem to be an isolation method and don't often show insulation around them. I'm wondering whether, for example, I could put a 53mm plastic clip (50mm waste clip?) around a 15mm pipe in 19mm insulation.

Seems that would provide for better insulation and isolation, but I don't want to break any regulations and I don't want it to be an issue from an installation perspective in relation to manufacturer warranties for the pipe.

Any experience out there?

you can use all round band to hold the pipe (in insulation) up. If i could go back, thats what id do as working up and around the clips is a royal pain in the backside and i used about a thousand cable ties which now cut back are like razor blades. Going back, id defo continuous insulation taped at the joins and all round band it up, would have saved me days if not weeks id imagine. 

FWIW if you're using an A2W ASHP for cooling as well as heating, then you pretty much have to do this to keep warm air away from the cold pipes to avoid condensation build up.

Can't comment on the regulation side, but It's a shame it's not standard practice in residential, it's pretty much standard practice in commercial M&E works. 

I've just had a reply from the Wavin (Hep2O) Technical Design Department; "we have no issues with our Hep2o system being clipped over the insulation and this is a principle we see on site often. 

However, we would not recommend builders band is used, we would recommend that suitable pipe clips are used i.e. rubber lined, Talon clips etc."

So it seems that it would be fine. When the time comes, I'll either find clips that will work or maybe take a look at designing something for 3D printing and then print them in red and blue filaments...

Thanks for the input @Super_Paulie and @joth - much appreciated.

23 minutes ago, garrymartin said:

I've just had a reply from the Wavin (Hep2O) Technical Design Department; "we have no issues with our Hep2o system being clipped over the insulation and this is a principle we see on site often. 

However, we would not recommend builders band is used, we would recommend that suitable pipe clips are used i.e. rubber lined, Talon clips etc."

So it seems that it would be fine. When the time comes, I'll either find clips that will work or maybe take a look at designing something for 3D printing and then print them in red and blue filaments...

Thanks for the input @Super_Paulie and @joth - much appreciated.

whatever works, depends on how much money you want to spend at the end of the day. I personally used talons and where it was required used red and blue but the rest being clear/white.

11 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Sorry for life is way to short for that.

🤣 Don't think I ever take the easy route to be honest...

I mentioned those type of clips in my first post, but they're a) not that cheap when you add all the components together and b) are not the easiest to fix in a residential environment. 50mm waste clips or 67mm round gutter clips might work though.