2nd fix plumbing advice....

Dee

Hello all,

Having been let down by 5 plumbers to do 2nd fix in a new bathroom that I've built I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to do it myself. I don't want to but I despair of ever finding a reliable plumber befor hell freezes over.

One step at a time.

1. I will have to drain the system first as pipes are live. It's a pressurised sealed system so...how do I do this and what are the risks of me getting  it wrong?

Start by posting pictures of exactly what first fix plumbing is in place and people can better advise what is needed to complete second fix.

Are you just talking of plumving the loo, bath, basin and shower or heating e.g. radiators or UFH as well?

All the wastes are in for basin, shower and loo and connected into the poo pipe.. The poo pipe is there along with the bend that goes into the poo pipe. The water pipes are plastic with copper tails and are in place for the taps and exposed shower valve and cold feed for the loo.

Draining the system is the first step but I need to plan this whole job meticulously if I'm going to tackle it atall.

17102596687294548841388775024263.jpg

20240312_161011.jpg

10 hours ago, Dee said:

It's a pressurised sealed system so...how do I do this and what are the risks of me getting  it wrong?

No panic. You will want to take the shower cold feed from the balanced cold outlet on the unvented cylinder, the basin and WC can be either bal or unbal so usually easier to make them all balanced.

Probably there will be a stop cock or lever valves before the UVC, turn them off then open existing hot and cold taps to relieve the pressure, they should quickly give way to a dribble then you have succeeded. If you can open taps on first and ground floors then the 1st floor pipes will drain down into the g/f pipework and comparatively little will come out when you cut into them. Make sure you have correctly identified the rising main going to the UVC though, it will still be under pressure.

This is the system that I would need to drain.

The plumbers I've seen drain it from a rad with a hose running outside. What do I shut off so the system drains and doesn't fill up?

1710335184941760053412585710435.jpg

2 hours ago, Dee said:

The plumbers I've seen drain it from a rad with a hose running outside.

That's for the central heating circuit. Why do you need to drain that?

It looks as though the cold feed and hot outlet are on the rhs of the tank but I can't see the actual valves, only the pressure relief arrangements. Needs better picture without all the junk in shot.

Also answer the questions @ProDave poses upthread.

Edited by sharpener

Because I will need to fit a radiator. These pipes also need to be shortened and repositioned.

Sorry, I thought I had answered Prodave? Thanks for the help.