sectional garage dilemma

Currently I have this old asbestos roof sectional garage it is 4.6m wide and 6.2m long externally. I think whoever built it just used the froth on the top of their beer as a spirit level as the more you look the worse it gets. Basically it needs to disappear and be replaced by something much better, but im lost as to what to build to replace it, cost / value for money is a big decider as I will either have to build it myself or outsource it. I did look into those log lap cabins but think I would be in the same predicament when it starts rotting away. hiring a builder to build it out of brick sounds too expensive. Is a stick built replacement my best option? or is there something I've overlooked?

IMG_20211019_142539_resized_20240310_111054991.jpg

IMG_20211019_142412_resized_20240310_111054566.jpg

You can buy metal garages but Ive never had one.

If it's within 1m of the boundary building regs require it to be essentially non combustible so that might be an issue.

Learn how to lay blocks and pay to get them rendered?

I recently built this, timber is 44mm thick and very good quality, it was cheaper than 19mm others on offer, came on one big pallet unloaded by forklift on the back of the lorry. Plus it looks nice and I get lots of comments from passers by. ( I didn’t want their timber garage doors and sourced my own and they deducted the cost of the doors).
https://www.quick-garden.co.uk/single-wooden-garage-3-2m-x-5-2m-11x17-ft-44-mm.html?utm_source=

image.jpg

Edited by joe90

a lad i know had a massive metal one put up and it looked decent but he is very rural so it didn't look out of place. i think it would look out of place here as everything else is brick built or concrete fake brick like mine, although someone decide to paint this one white.

mine is the end house so i only really have the neighbour over the back to worry about regards too distance and she is about 10 foot away from the back of this one currently.

i did buy some blocks and start learning how to lay but that a different story, basically i submitted plans to build next to this garage in block, either clad or rendered and they would only approve it if it was bigger than i wanted/ was a weird octagon type shape and made from brick and have obscured glass windows facing into my own garden for privacy 😄, so that plan is dead in the water.

i did entertain it and start learning how to lay bricks but think picking up a trowel and cracking on might be a bit too ambitious, a BBQ or something would be a more sensible first project.

IMG_20220815_170346_resized_20240310_020601360.jpg

i was watching your timber garage threads as it was a serious contender. My qualm is that round these parts the local chavs like breaking in wooden sheds so it would catch their eye. 

How much did your concrete base set you back? or did you do it yourself.

4 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

i was watching your timber garage threads as it was a serious contender. My qualm is that round these parts the local chavs like breaking in wooden sheds so it would catch their eye. 

How much did your concrete base set you back? or did you do it yourself.

I did the base myself (with younger help!,!) as I could not get anyone to even quote for it. 6” slab with steel mesh on an already compacted sub base. Well I would not call this a “shed” the locks and door are “house grade” and a simple alarm would be an easy fit. The walls are so solid, not like cladding nailed onto a frame. Frankly it was such good value for money it was a no brainier for me.

Edited by joe90