Getting Completion

worldwidewebs

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

I no longer required site insurance and arranged a one year 'Unoccupied Buildings and Contents Insurance' policy with Sennocke at a much lower premium. Their telephone number is 01732742102.

Unoccupied? I need 'occupied but not signed off' :D

2 hours ago, worldwidewebs said:

My experience was that they would just get a custom policy for you, as I wanted to still have cover for works going on inside the house, but didn't need cover for plant etc outside on the site.  The policy they came up with was a modified version of their renovation policy, where a house may be undergoing a fair bit of remedial work internally.  Worth talking to them to see what they can do.

Failing that, somewhere I have the name of a broker I used a while ago who was pretty good, I'll have a look later and see if I still have their details.

2 hours ago, worldwidewebs said:

Being signed off wasn't a problem for them, it was the fact that it was unoccupied. When unoccupied the property needs to be checked once a week at least. Fortunately for me me the property is a few metres away from my bungalow and I'm in there everyday.

18 hours ago, worldwidewebs said:

Did you mention it at the time of getting a quote? I spoke with Hiscox earlier and they said they needed BC sign-off

Did it online, was only presented with questions on the building construction. Cant see anything in the policy documents.  

On 10/6/2017 at 16:26, Bitpipe said:

Did it online, was only presented with questions on the building construction. Cant see anything in the policy documents.  

I'm conflicted if I'm honest. I phoned Hiscox yesterday and asked them explicitly if I needed BC sign-off - after a few minutes they came back with 'yes'. But, like you, I've never been asked the question and I don't see it in my existing/previous policy documents so I don't see how they could use a lack of sign-off to avoid paying out if needed.

We still have a few things to do on site (slate cladding, landscaping, one room to floor) but I'm not really sure site insurance is needed at all now (or is it?)

I have experienced a denied claim on the past for what the company considered material but they did not ask specifically about. Nothing to do with build.

So I err on side of caution, my view is that there is no point in risking a declined claim and losing everything if there is a fire just to save a few hundred pounds.

It would not surprise me if there is some definition of a explicit or implicit in there.

17 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

I have experienced a denied claim on the past for what the company considered material but they did not ask specifically about. Nothing to do with build.

So I err on side of caution, my view is that there is no point in risking a declined claim and losing everything if there is a fire just to save a few hundred pounds.

It would not surprise me if there is some definition of a explicit or implicit in there.

I've never experienced a declined claim, but I do a fair bit of work for insurance companies, usually when they are looking for a way to decline or reduce a claim.  They put a surprising amount of effort into this, in my experience, so I never take risks with insurance - assume that anything that isn't specifically detailed in the schedule may well result in any claim being declined.  AFAIK, there's no mandatory requirement for insurers to pay out on house claims, as there is on third party, Road Traffic Act, claims in car accidents.  I made damned sure that every detail was covered for the one-off policy we had between having self-build insurance and then moving to normal buildings and contents insurance. 

Edited by JSHarris

Guest Alphonsox

This thread appeared the day after I had set up a new building insurance policy to cover us from mid-Oct when our self-build policy runs out. I had read the T+C from top to bottom and there is no mention of a completion certificate being required. Having read this thread and being a cautious type I gave the new insurers a ring today just to check - Good thing I did, apparently I am not covered. Their rationale goes along the lines of "We don't cover houses while they are being built. When a house build is completed you get a completion certificate. If you don't have a completion certificate then by definition your house is still being built" Luckily I am within the 14 day cooling off period so I have cancelled. - I've just called Sennocke to see if they can help. Thanks everyone for helping me dodge this one.

On 10/6/2017 at 08:06, PeterStarck said:

I no longer required site insurance and arranged a one year 'Unoccupied Buildings and Contents Insurance' policy with Sennocke at a much lower premium. Their telephone number is 01732742102.

Thanks Peter. I called Sennocke this afternoon and got what wasn't too bad a quote considering the factors :) 

Guest Alphonsox
5 minutes ago, worldwidewebs said:

Thanks Peter. I called Sennocke this afternoon and got what wasn't too bad a quote considering the factors :) 

Interesting - I called Sennocke yesterday and got a quote for unoccupied building insurance that was £70 more than the renewal quote for the site insurance from Build-Care! Luckily GSI have provided a far more reasonable quote (<50%), with fewer restrictions.

51 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

It was GSI we used to get the policy we needed as an interim, I'm sure.  They shopped around and came up with a "customised" policy for a very reasonable premium.

Do you have a number for GSI? I called 'a GSI' and they couldn't/wouldn't help

9 hours ago, worldwidewebs said:

Do you have a number for GSI? I called 'a GSI' and they couldn't/wouldn't help

Yes, their number is 01227 773067, website is www.gsi-insurance.com

Edited by JSHarris
Sorry- didn't see that @Alphonsox had already replied - left the page open from last night...........

Just got my renewal from the previous insurer and have now called GSI and confessed all :)

Waiting to see what they come back with - I should have my completion in a month or two when a last piece of internal glass is installed so need to factor that in also.