Cracking brickwork

Hi. After comments and thoughts please. I have a double storey extension built 15 years ago with a single storey adjoining utility room. The utility room was stepped back about 1.5 bricks from main extension. A crack has appeared, in the main extension straight up and down.  started off as hairline now grown to about 0cm or more. Widest part is around the roofline join of extension. It does not continue to the ground. It has started to go upwards from here recently. Gutting comes down from the main roof on the same line.Does not extend inside through internal blocks. Anybody seen this before or have thoughts on causes??

Pics? If crack is wider at the top then it’s breaking its back … outer end is sinking or middle is heaving. Get some pics up and let’s have a look

• Thanks 1

That’s odd, do you have a pic from the front as well? Trying to work out how it’s bonded, appears the corners are a sort of wrap around brick?

@crowe thanks for that, must have been an optical illusion, so yes standards bricks and bond. Now for what is pushing the outer leaf away - could be the extension pulling but the crack is too focused and uniform.

I did see something similar where the cavity was filled with a wool type insulation and it got wet, this corroded the ties and also added load pushing the outer leaf away.

i strongly suggest you get a Structural Engineer or very good (not mortgage adviser) type surveyor to have a look. At the very least wall tie replacement but probably cavity clean out as well.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, markc said:

@crowe thanks for that, must have been an optical illusion, so yes standards bricks and bond. Now for what is pushing the outer leaf away - could be the extension pulling but the crack is too focused and uniform.

I did see something similar where the cavity was filled with a wool type insulation and it got wet, this corroded the ties and also added load pushing the outer leaf away.

i strongly suggest you get a Structural Engineer or very good (not mortgage adviser) type surveyor to have a look. At the very least wall tie replacement but probably cavity clean out as well.

Pic9.thumb.jpg.a0b418c6614de794288d08fd2b355eb8.jpg

Thanks very much, I must admit I had similar thoughts re extension ( utility single storey) but the ties and corrosion etc would make perfect sense as the water from the main build roof doesn't half flow down gutter and always overtops where it joins extension guttering so it wouldn't take much to get in the crack etc and with expansion etc in winter you make alot of sense. Will get a structural survey to confirm but thankyou.

I think the extension walls are restraining the outer leaf, with thermal expansion and contraction in the original adjacent length causing a moment couple at the corner. This has cracked the brick vertically. This is a bit like in diagram 4 https://www.nhbc.co.uk/binaries/content/assets/nhbc/tech-zone/nhbc-standards/tech-guidance/6.1/movement-joints-in-masonry-walls-.pdf

Wall tie corrosion tends to exhibit horizontal cracking, as the corrosion products jack the bed joints apart.

• Like 2

Worth getting a structural engineer to look at. Without seeing the rest of the house and surrounding site it looks like thermal movement.

Often seen on return walls, long panels and at corners. The extension probably has contributed to this as it will have thermal movement which differs from the house brick.

I would monitor in the short term. It is unlikely to get worse.

• Thanks 1

Thankyou George and Hugogo and Mark you all make a lot of sense. As you say it's not bowing the outer house wall and it's cracked down cement and through single bricks from the utility extension roof join where the lead is inserted into brickwork of main house. As you say the utility room extension will have differing thermal properties to the main house so this is likely to add to to it.  

I guess maybe need to look at some thermal joins.

Am I imagining the tiniest bit of level difference at the cracked bricks?

I'd suggest that there has been a miniscule differential movement between two constructions, creating a stress. That line goes through the weakest line ( mortar to half brick).

How wide is the crack? 2mm perhaps?

Does a pound coin fit in? Worry.

Not? Take a note of the gap, tell us so that it is on the record, and look again in 3 months.