Fixing Centrers for Plasterboard (Timber Frame)

Hi,

We are moving on to plasterboarding with our build. The timberframers built everything at 600mm centers with no noggins. What have people done in terms of their plasterboard fixing centers?

Take the ceilings as an example, one board would touch 3 joists. I could then fix every 300mm down each joist (longways) but there would still be 600mm gaps widthways. 

Do you noggin across the ends of each board and put another fixing in between each joist making the widthways fixings 300mm centers (at the ends anyway)? Any maybe one noggin in the middle? Just for our first floor this would be 350 noggins!

Looks like the easiest option might be to fit a 25x50mm counter batten at 400mm centers then. Would save cutting a huge amount of individual noggins. Plus I've already bought 12.5mm boards so can't really change to 15mm now.

55 minutes ago, benben5555 said:

We are moving on to plasterboarding with our build. The timberframers built everything at 600mm centers with no noggins. What have people done in terms of their plasterboard fixing centers?

Take the ceilings as an example, one board would touch 3 joists. I could then fix every 300mm down each joist (longways) but there would still be 600mm gaps widthways. 

Do you noggin across the ends of each board and put another fixing in between each joist making the widthways fixings 300mm centers (at the ends anyway)? Any maybe one noggin in the middle? Just for our first floor this would be 350 noggins!

What is your plan for insulation and airtightness, you could be missing a golden opportunity?

Any pics of the walls/ceilings as is?

10 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

What is your plan for insulation and airtightness, you could be missing a golden opportunity?

Any pics of the walls/ceilings as is?

Lots of insulation, very airtight! That's the plan anyway. I feel on top of that part, just didn't really consider the plasterboard fixings.

I've been in the loft of loads of big estate new builds for my job and never seen a noggin. Pretty sure they just fix everything at 600mm centers

Probably not very helpful but we air-tested pre boarding at 0.4 ACH. We then built a service cavity frame on the walls attached to the ceiling and floor with 600 centres not piercing the airtightness barrier and boarded on that.  noggins only added where specifically needed.  We also used a metal suspended ceiling system on both floors to provide a service void for MVHR, pipe work etc.  

9 hours ago, Iceverge said:

you could put resilient bars on the roof for a small service cavity for wires

+1 to this. and has the added benefit of sound reduction over timber battens.