Levelling Garden - what to do by the fence?

Hi everyone,

I’ve levelled my garden by creating a small retaining wall between an upper and lower level - see pic. I will need to dig down about 20 cm from the current ground level by the wall on the lower section in order to level it. I’m then planning to gravel the bottom area up to the fence but I’m guessing I will need to install some edge restraints, especially on the area where I’ve dug down in order to stop the earth falling away and to also keep the gravel from migrating etc. 

Any ideas of a good way of doing this? I’m planning on building a pizza oven (see image) which will have rendered blocks so that will provide some restraint. Maybe using sleepers would be an idea? That would also provide and raised bed around the fence. 

Any suggestions ideas appreciated. 

Cheers

Ed

IMG_0934.jpeg

7245BCD5-3DDD-47C4-ADA5-E256D2CFD1C5.jpeg

I think I'd install sleepers a couple of feet away from the fence and plant some climbers/screening.  Don't forget that if you're removing soil directly adjacent to the posts, you're effectively reducing the amount of post that's in the ground.  Might be fine if they're in deep or you're well sheltered.  Also, I'd carefully consider the wisdom of building over a manhole with the pizza oven (if that's what it is)... there's some universal law that says you'll need to rod the drains before the first pizza is cooked 😆

• Like 1

Things to use to retain the gravel could be many things - I use tiles on edges, sleepers, block pavers at an angle, wood or even slates.  But I agree that making a border with climbing plants would add to the look of the area.  Plants in front of black fence panels can look really good.  You'd need wires to tie/support the climbers to the fence and I'd look at something like the Star Jasmine - Trachelospermum jasminoides - as it is evergreen (as long as the garden is not too cold) and gives lovely small, highly fragrant flowers in summer.  Good luck with it all.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2024 at 19:09, Roundtuit said:

I think I'd install sleepers a couple of feet away from the fence and plant some climbers/screening.  Don't forget that if you're removing soil directly adjacent to the posts, you're effectively reducing the amount of post that's in the ground.  Might be fine if they're in deep or you're well sheltered.  Also, I'd carefully consider the wisdom of building over a manhole with the pizza oven (if that's what it is)... there's some universal law that says you'll need to rod the drains before the first pizza is cooked 😆

I think I will install sleepers along part of the fence and gravel boards behind the pizza oven. The inspection chamber will be accessible as I will make the shelf removable. 

• Like 1