Do I need planning permission? - Conservation Area house

NoviceDIY

I live in conservation area. On the council planning portal, it does not show if Article 4 applies to my property so I suppose it does not apply to my property.
I have to make following updates to my property and was wondering if I need to apply for planning permission for any of these:
1. Front Door: My front door is made of wood and single glazed glass. White in colour with one glass side panel. I want to install a new composite front door in Grey colour. This new door will have 2 side panels. Am I allowed to change the front door without planning permission and change its colour from While to Grey too?

2. I need to replace wooden Cladding, Facia and Soffits in the front and side of the property. The existing items are made of wood. I want to change it to UPVC. I am not changing the colour. It will remain White. Am I allowed to change cladding, Facia and Soffits without planning permission?

3. I have a balcony on the first floor that is in the front of the house. This balcony has wooden rails. I want to change this wooden planks and wooden rails with Satin Glass and steel rails. Again, am I allowed to do it without planning permission?

I have enquired with Bromley council but they refused to confirm if I need planning permission for any of the above work.

It would be good if they'd talk to you, but if they won't it sounds like a CLOPUD (Certificate of the Lawfulness of a Proposed Use or Development) might be needed. It's an application (cannot remember the price - I think it was half that of a Planning App when I applied last) to confirm that your proposals constitute Permitted Development. Alternatively a Pre-Planning Enquiry (Chargeable) might work, but if they are already refusing to talk to you it might not.

1 hour ago, NoviceDIY said:

I live in conservation area. On the council planning portal, it does not show if Article 4 applies to my property so I suppose it does not apply to my property.
I have to make following updates to my property and was wondering if I need to apply for planning permission for any of these:
1. Front Door: My front door is made of wood and single glazed glass. White in colour with one glass side panel. I want to install a new composite front door in Grey colour. This new door will have 2 side panels. Am I allowed to change the front door without planning permission and change its colour from While to Grey too?

2. I need to replace wooden Cladding, Facia and Soffits in the front and side of the property. The existing items are made of wood. I want to change it to UPVC. I am not changing the colour. It will remain White. Am I allowed to change cladding, Facia and Soffits without planning permission?

3. I have a balcony on the first floor that is in the front of the house. This balcony has wooden rails. I want to change this wooden planks and wooden rails with Satin Glass and steel rails. Again, am I allowed to do it without planning permission?

I have enquired with Bromley council but they refused to confirm if I need planning permission for any of the above work.

Not a chance!

• Like 1

I had replied to your post on another site a couple of days ago…

The guidance states that additional restrictions may be in place for those properties within Conservation Areas. For you to check any additional requirements, you would need to check the Planning history of your property.

Your Council cannot confirm whether such proposals constitute Permitted Development without a Lawful Development Certificate application. It’s the same for all Councils. However, your Council will offer Pre-application advice and you should be able to use that service to seek advice, guidance and restrictions…

https://www.bromley.gov.uk/planning-applications/pre-application-planning-advice

Edited by DevilDamo