Kitchen hood grease filtering, hobs & automation

I'd find it useful to link my hob and recirculating integrated hood (both yet to be purchased), so that the hood is automatically operated when the hob is in use. I was thinking that it would be necessary to rig this myself, by monitoring the hob's electrical circuit and hacking the hood switching.

Then I came across Hob2Hood, which does it automatically by using an infrared transmitter in the hob and a receiver in the hood, which sounds ideal. However, it's only found on selected products from Electrolux and other brands they own (notably AEG and Zanussi). While they seem to make good induction hobs (unless you know differently), all of their hoods I've looked up are rated poorly (mostly D) for grease filtering*, which is the key thing that I want it to do.

Before discounting them completely, has anyone - especially if you own one of the above brands - found an effective way of upgrading the grease filtering?

Otherwise I'll likely go back to the original plan. Maybe choosing Ikea's Underverk, which is rated A for grease, A+ for energy, is suitably minimalist, and for which someone has already come up with a 'Hob2IkeaHood' Arduino-based solution that works with Hob2Hood hobs.

*D means it filters out an only 65% to 75% of the grease in the official test, compared to >95% for A rated.

Not sure how you do your house ventilation, but we barely use our hob extractor anymore with MVHR (we don't fry much either), there is zero need, the MVHR extract in the kitchen seems to do a good enough job on its own. Just have a filter sock in the extract terminal for the MVHR to catch anything, before it gets into the duct.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Just have a filter sock in the extract terminal for the MVHR to catch anything, before it gets into the duct.

I'm doing the same, so your experience is encouraging. However while I don't fry often, others who will be using the kitchen will, so belt and braces would be useful :)