Lime Stone House Insulation

MattMiller

HI All, 

I am having some bother finding a reputable installer of insulation that wont just offer up any old solution...

I have a limestone built house. which has been cement rendered and painted. I know not good. Plan is to remove it long term. 

Right now I'm trying to insulate the house, Now I know a fibreboard method and lime plaster will work. but disrupting the house for many many weeks. 

What the current interior build is made up of a non foil backer 12mm plasterboard and plaster onto a wooden framework that sits about 80mm from the main house wall. Roof is a cold system so there is airflow behind the plaster walls which makes them very cold. Roof has 400mm wool insulation 

Solutions I have been offered are

Kingspan bonded to plasterboard and placed on the existing wooden frome work (removal of old plaster)

Blown Bead insulation between the existing plasterboard and limestone wall

Can any one advise as, mostly the companies that are accredited insulation installers want to build a frame on existing walls with 30mm gap and 60mm insulation and plaster.  This would be fine but intrusive on the room sizes.. 

Can anyone advise or provide any information as I am trying to get grants to do the work and without quotes and correctly done I'm lost

21 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

EWI an option?

+1. Can you post pictures so we can see the roof oversail (or not) etc?

If you decide EWI is a no-go: I do wonder if trying to get a solution for the *whole house* using your existing plasterboard and frames might be blocking you from doing a high-quality wood-fibre or cork and lime plaster IWI solution to, say, 2 key rooms as part of an x-year 'rolling programme'.

On 07/02/2024 at 13:53, Redbeard said:

+1. Can you post pictures so we can see the roof oversail (or not) etc?

If you decide EWI is a no-go: I do wonder if trying to get a solution for the *whole house* using your existing plasterboard and frames might be blocking you from doing a high-quality wood-fibre or cork and lime plaster IWI solution to, say, 2 key rooms as part of an x-year 'rolling programme'.

So External wall insulation would mean redoing the lower half of the roof and as it is a stone built property, I guess it would  not do any good for the stone work. The cement render certainly doesn't. There is next to no overhang of the roof to the walls.  Ive put in some interior pictures. the main hall way is north facing and bloody cold. 80mm air gap behind the plaster and no insulation. not lathing as the internal walls have been done in the past 20 years. added in bedrooms as there is not a huge space for internal wall to external wall .  there are portions which have old glass fibre behind the plaster, but not everywhere. @Redbeard I have done this type of install on an old cottage before with my cousin, Internally I would love too but the hall way would encroach too much. the rest of the building could potentially be OK as there is large space to do so, The bedrooms again I think it would encroach too much, but a suggestion on what thickness would be helpful as I am not an expert in this. 

18.jpg

17.jpg

16.jpg

9.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Have you considered EPS beads inbetween plasterboard and wall thus avoiding mosot of the disruption.

Accepting that there may be condensation risk and/or depending on the state of the walls, damp transfer. Im guessing no DPC in the walls?

As an aside, i do rather like that................

EWI is the ideal solution here as your house interior is lovely. 

Yes you would need to add a bellcast to the roof . The stone walls wouldn't mind in the least. They'd be happy to be warm!