Light Gauge Steel Frames - build system

AppleDown

Hey everyone. I'm going through the usual quotes for a timber frame build - surprising the level of customer service you get from each one, some brilliant, some terrible - you'd think they'd all be clamoring for a £100k plus project... but anyway.

I've come across a few light gauge steel frame systems, and a couple of businesses that offer a design and build solution. I did a quick search on here, but was surprised to not see much in the way of questions and topics. Either a) that means it's rubbish and not worthy of your attention, or b) it's slipped the net a bit.

This is one of the companies I've seen: https://steelframebuildingsltd.co.uk/

Has anyone looked down this route? I see there's a bit more uptake in the US, Aus and NZ too. And definitely a focus on smaller garden rooms here in the UK. Would appreciate any insight, and happy for you all to say 'NO'. It'll make my life easier and I can focus back on the timber route!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

No.  If it is going to support roof and floors it needs to be structural steel and will cost much more than brick / block, timber frame, sips or icf.

Are you sure?

When i built my insulated garage, it was cheaper than all of those.

A friend of a friend built one. 

Light guage metal with I think 100mm of external PIR and then a block rain screen. 

Dead fast and accurate but he works for a company that does them for commercial buildings so he was able to get it at a competitive price. It wouldn't have been comparable to masonry or TF otherwise. 

The thermal bridging of the studs is really significant compared to timber and merits close attention to detail. 

14 hours ago, Roger440 said:

Are you sure?

When i built my insulated garage, it was cheaper than all of those.

Yes I am pretty sure.  That is why housebuilders don't use it.  I doubt it would get a warranty or mortgage as a dwelling.