Final sign off

Maria

Hello all

I have finally got a final certificate from the Building Control and wonder if I need to do anything else?

Apologies for being daft.

Do I take it to the planning authority? Anyone else? Or this is it?

How long do I have to submit a VAT claim? 

The build is finished, and decorated,  just needs a good clean and can be moved in.

I have attached the certificate which the Building Control issued. Is this egat you'd expect?

I have informed the structural warranty insurers and they came for the final inspection a couple of days ago.final certificate.pdffinal certificate.pdf

• Like 1

I can only answer about the VAT claim that’s all online now and you have 6 months to claim and they are a lot quicker at getting the money out to you. 

congratulation’s moving in soon then. 

• Thanks 1

You just have to keep the Final Completion certificate from Building Control filed away to produce as proof to any future buyers of the property (and their solicitors) that the work has been inspected and signed off as complying to the current Building Regulations. House sales often get held up due to the lack of a Final Completion Certificate which is not always easy to obtain retrospectively. The council should also have a copy kept on record but usually charge for any new or replacement copies. The Planning Dept are not usually interested in the Building Control side of things and you rarely hear from them after completion unless a nearby neighbour complains that something is not to the original planning drawings.

Edited by MAB
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the late response and many thanks for your input.

Are there any other authorities which need to sign off the building apart from the building control?

At what stage do I get the council tax? Do I contact them to say it's complete?

I also intend to get a mortgage on it? I am waiting for the structural warranty certificate. Is there anything else I may need?

Many thanks  

On 02/02/2024 at 09:32, MAB said:

The council should also have a copy kept on record but usually charge for any new or replacement copies. 

Who submits it to the council? The building control?

8 hours ago, Maria said:

Who submits it to the council? The building control?

If you had appointed an Approved Inspector, they would send a copy of the Final Certificate to your Local Authority Building Control department. If you have used the LABC, then it’s them who would issue you the Final/Completion Certificate. 

22 hours ago, Maria said:

Apologies for the late response and many thanks for your input.

Are there any other authorities which need to sign off the building apart from the building control?

At what stage do I get the council tax? Do I contact them to say it's complete?

I also intend to get a mortgage on it? I am waiting for the structural warranty certificate. Is there anything else I may need?

Many thanks  

If you applied for CIL exemption you need to include the Final Certificate at the final stage of the exemption process (Form 7, Part 2).

• Thanks 1