Exciting borescope pictures of wall insulation!

Garald

I guess they all look fine? (Or is the insulation not quite thick enough?) I'm having some trouble orienting the borescope to the zone of greatest suspicion (upwards) but I'm doing my best. I'm reluctant to make a second hole.

20240129_185220.jpg

Photo_2024-01-29 18_57_23_802.JPG

Photo_2024-01-29 19_03_24_251.JPG

Photo_2024-01-29 19_17_34_395.JPG

Edited by Garald

33 minutes ago, Garald said:

I'm having some trouble orienting the borescope

Some of them have a small marker on them that shows up on the screen, or if yours does not, stick a little bit of tape on the bottom.

Is this enough detail? Should I close the hole? I imagine poking around isn't causing lasting damage, in that insulation will just settle into the narrow tunnel I've effectively created by poking around with a borescope.

It could be that the insulation inside the walls is essentially perfect, and the reason why the short walls are cold, especially towards the top, is a different one. Remember how there was an airtightness defect hidden by those beams on top of the short walls (well, on one side) and that it had to be sealed with polyurethane mousse? That was enough to make things airtight (I hope) but it may still be a defect in the insulation, as in it was not a lot of polyurethane - just enough to seal. Perhaps a case can be made for 2cm of polyurethane (or cork; not sure how safe it would be to have a bunch of polyurethane just sitting exposed like that).

This could be a DIY project - I could use these:

https://www.amazon.fr/Dilatation-Résiliente-Modélisme-Miniature-900x10x10/dp/B08425B4H3/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=387JS1PUSJHFX&keywords=bande+en+liège&qid=1706648260&s=hi&sprefix=bande+en+liège%2Cdiy%2C86&sr=1-5

Cork is not as good as insulator as polyurethane (it's on the same league as rock wool) but it's harmless to leave exposed or to work with (are both the case for polyurethane?).

What kind of glue should I use to stick cork permanently to a wooden beam or a plaster wall?