How to include a diagram in a post

Hi, I need to start a topic about window positions.  I've read previous threads on the subject which don't fully answer my query.  I will raise a topic in the Windows section of the site, but I will need to include a diagram for it to make sense - as I have seen in many other posts.  Can someone please explain how to do it?  I have the detail drawn in cad (Turbocad) and I have pdf'd it.  When I start a topic I can see how to attach the pdf file, but not how to embed the diagram into my post.

59 minutes ago, Dave Anderson said:

When I start a topic I can see how to attach the pdf file, but not how to embed the diagram into my post.

If the image is on the clipboard, you can just place the cursor where you want the image in your text, then "control-v" to paste. For convenience, I tend to use the Windows clipping tool to grab what I want to upload, then paste it straight in. This is by far the quickest way as it avoids saving and uploading images.

If the image is a file, then first upload using this link:

image.png.e6fdfa5850dc61b578a4f12d4a360cb3.png

A preview of the image appears below the "choose files" section.

Please the cursor where you want the image in your post, then hover over the image preview below, and you'll see the word "insert" appear at the bottom left.

image.png.86bb29375fbdea15f07e341211188c1c.png

Click on that and the image will be inserted where your cursor is in the text.

Hope that helps.

Jack, much appreciate your help, but still can't get it to work.  I can copy the image in turbocad (almost A4 size, @1:5 scale) - but when I paste into my buildhub message it inserts a tiny thumbnail version of the drawing - a 2kb .png image. I've also tried inserting the pdf drawing, but that only inserts the file name. Any further suggestions gratefully received 

Try as an alternative, get your image on the screen of your computer and take a screen shot and save it, then post that here.

What does your file manager say about the size of the image you tried posting that came out tiny?

Thanks prodave, that works - I always forget about print screen. (I don't know where to find the file size for something on the clipboard in file manager, but no worries the print screen is fine.)  Ill post my actual topic later on in windows and glazing.

20 minutes ago, Dave Anderson said:

(I don't know where to find the file size for something on the clipboard in file manager,

I don't know what OS you have, but if you save the file just about any file manager will show you the file size, unless you have everything set to just show you a little icon of the picture rather than proper details.

Windows 10. The pdf version is 15kb.  Copying and pasting direct from turbocad (via clipboard) - can't see a way of finding file size in clipboard.  No worries, I've found I can copy from turbocad and paste into PowerPoint, then copy and paste into buildhub and it works fine, bizarrely.

19 hours ago, Dave Anderson said:

Jack, much appreciate your help, but still can't get it to work.  I can copy the image in turbocad (almost A4 size, @1:5 scale) - but when I paste into my buildhub message it inserts a tiny thumbnail version of the drawing - a 2kb .png image. I've also tried inserting the pdf drawing, but that only inserts the file name. Any further suggestions gratefully received 

Hi Dave. When you say you "copy the image in turbocad", what do you mean? Did you try this from my first reply?:

20 hours ago, jack said:

If the image is on the clipboard, you can just place the cursor where you want the image in your text, then "control-v" to paste. For convenience, I tend to use the Windows clipping tool to grab what I want to upload, then paste it straight in. This is by far the quickest way as it avoids saving and uploading images.

In more detail:

You're using Windows 10, so use the inbuilt "Snipping Tool":

image.png.9464716d2aa8fe7fe551e08e60b63931.png

I have it as a shortcut in my task bar.

Open it, click the "+" button at the top left, then drag a rectangle around the part of the image you want to post. It's automatically added to the clipboard, so you can just paste it directly into your post at the point where you want to image to appear.

Optionally, you can use the inbuilt markup tool to annotate (as I did in orange above), then hit the copy button and paste into your post.

Using the Print Screen option is fine, but from memory, it only copies either the full screen or the current window, depending on what key combo you use. You can do that then import into something else and edit/crop it I suppose, but the Snipping Tool is a much quicker way of copying exactly what you want to share.

Thanks very much for your detailed reply jack. In the turbocad model I isolated the detail I wanted to share, then created a drawing of just that detail. Then in the drawing view I could select the image and copy it to the clipboard. But on pasting into my buildhub message it just pasted in a 2kb thumbnail.

I'll explore the snipping tool this evening and let you know how it goes.

• Like 1