Valley repair with liquid GRP

We've got some holes in our lead valleys and want them fixed.

Two roofers have recommended just coating them in liquid GRP. A final roofer said it doesn't last and we should put in a new lead work and valley.

Does anyone have any experience of liquid GRP and how long it might last? Trying to weigh up the cost/benefit.

1 hour ago, gravelld said:

Does anyone have any experience of liquid GRP

Having been in the GRP business and had an interest in it for over 50 years, I have never heard of it.

Did then give a product name?

I'd first try bitumen paint, encouraging it into the cracks then a couple more coats.

I recall there is  a product with fibres in it which would help clog the holes.

I'm assuming these are cracks or small holes  not  big holes.

Lead, done right, will last 100 years. GRP can last well (and ST will have a better idea than I about GRP longevity, but still a lot of old GRP boats around) but I would have thought a lot less than 100 years. Lead gets my vote.

I have replaced several lead valleys with GRP very successfully, I have doubts about patches “sticking” to lead?. Advantages of GRP is no joins as needed in sheets of lead and far cheaper.

2 hours ago, Redbeard said:

and ST will have a better idea than I about GRP longevity

Stuff I have done has lasted more than 45 years so far.

Generally it gets taken down before it fails.

I hear good things about this sort of product.

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/roofing/roof-repair/aquaseal-liquid-roof/

I have never applied it, but we had the shop roof done with some a couple of years ago and it is still holding up as far as I know.

I'm not talking about replacing a lead valley with a GRP one - I'm just talking about going over the lead valley with a coat of the GRP.

I have also used those flashing patches successfully, and they do stick so long as the lead is cleaned up nicely. But they are even more temporary I think!

18 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I'd first try bitumen paint, encouraging it into the cracks then a couple more coats.

I recall there is  a product with fibres in it which would help clog the holes.

I'm assuming these are cracks or small holes  not  big holes.

Yeah they are fine fissures/tears in the lead.

I think this lead is about 25 years old. One of the roofers commented the runs were too long - they should be cut to maximum 1500mm runs, he does 1200.