Vertical black timber cladding

srpuntis

Hi all,

Our architect has specified ‘vertical black timber cladding’ for part of our extension.

There are so many options (wood species, cladding profiles, installation, painting/burning) that I don’t really know where to start and neither does our builder.

It’s only approx 16sqm worth so in economies of scale, something like Russwood isn’t really cost-effective (the delivery alone was £650 adding £40 per sqm). A quote from a charred cladding company was also eye-watering.

Any suggestions? We’re looking at T&G cladding (with a square ‘shadow’ profile). It looks as if painting might be an option but what species wood should I get (I’m in the south east uk but on a bit of an exposed site)? Which paint? Or is it better to go with Russwood/Norclad factory painted options for durability? What fixing options (it’s a block cavity wall) and does it need a membrane? Any suggested resources where I can read up?

Thanks,

S

IMG_3106.jpeg

8 hours ago, srpuntis said:

A quote from a charred cladding company was also eye-watering

If you're into DIY, then for 16m² it would be easy to buy the cedar and char it yourself with a hired gas torch.