How black is black?

Mr Blobby

This week I need to decide on solar panels.  I will be installing about 20 on the roof, and maybe a few on the garage too.

This afternoon I got to see a JA Solar deep blue 4 series panel.  This is, I think, typical of the "all black" panels, with wires visible on the face:

JASolar-435.thumb.jpg.2104038e1ba1e098819ee839c0d71799.jpg

JASolar-435-2.thumb.jpg.c534cafa210a5596eaf1eea220b4c44d.jpg

Its a fine 435 Watt N-Typw panel but its not really "all black".  AFAIK most black panels use this same technology except for Maxeon/Sunpower who recently released a new black panel with a glass face and no visible wires.  Which looks great (although I haven't seen it in the flesh of course) but is three times the price https://www.renugen.co.uk/sunpower-maxeon-3-420-blk/

Aiko sell something similar for less https://shop4electrical.co.uk/panels/12211-aiko-a-mah54mb-mono-glass-n-type-abc-black-hole-series-photovoltaic-solar-panel-450w

but look like they are being sued for patent infringement https://mediaroom.maxeon.com/2023-11-15-Maxeon-Solar-Technologies-Files-Patent-Action-Against-Aiko-in-Germany

I like the look of the Aiko panels but are they worth the extra dosh or should I save my money and stick with more tested technology like the JA solar?  Will anyone ever see them on the roof apart from me anyway?

What other panels should I consider?

Edited by Mr Blobby

Whilst I hate the look of PV 

I have noticed that there’s been far more Algae this year 

The panels local to me are caked in the stuff along with render etc 

Does this effect The efficiency 

Perhapstgeres a whole new business in there annually cleaning 

4 hours ago, Conor said:

Not sure if you can remember mine

Hi Conor, yes, I remember you were putting JA Solar panels on the roof when I visited your build some time ago.

4 hours ago, Conor said:

You'll never see them

Your panels are nicely integrated with GSE frames and look bang tidy.  We have a standing seam roof.  Our panels will be mounted on S5 clamps so not quite so invisible, hence the desire to get pretty panels.

We can get 20 panels on the NE and SE elevations at the back but the biggest SW elevation at the front, where the sun shines, is I think too nice loooking to spoil with PV panels. That;s our problem and our reason for looking at fancy panels.

roof.thumb.jpg.e093c7cc76d650b2a990b91f11238fbd.jpg

I had thought that maybe if I install the prettiest panels on the rear then they may not spoil the aesthetioc of the roof too much.  I can experiment to see how they look on the rear and then make a final decison about the front.  Our builder is horrified that I am thinking about spoiling the front roof with panels.  I think he is probably right.  I'll test out the rear first to be sure to be sure 🤨

Edited by Mr Blobby

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Hi Conor, yes, I remember you were putting JA Solar panels on the roof when I visited your build some time ago.

Your panels are nicely integrated with GSE frames and look bang tidy.  We have a standing seam roof.  Our panels will be mounted on S5 clamps so not quite so invisible, hence the desire to get pretty panels.

We can get 20 panels on the NE and SE elevations at the back but the biggest SW elevation at the front, where the sun shines, is I think too nice loooking to spoil with PV panels. That;s our problem and our reason for looking at fancy panels.

roof.thumb.jpg.e093c7cc76d650b2a990b91f11238fbd.jpg

I had thought that maybe if I install the prettiest panels on the rear then they may not spoil the aesthetioc of the roof too much.  I can experiment to see how they look on the rear and then make a final decison about the front.  Our builder is horrified that I am thinking about spoiling the front roof with panels.  I think he is probably right.  I'll test out the rear first to be sure to be sure 🤨

have you the space to ground mount the PV? would be shame to plonk panels on top of that beautiful roof!