Bay Window Deflection Head

I have baypoles and jack's in the corners with a 2ply 195x45 beam over the centre 5 light window. It's a 3.2m span. I don't want the beam transfering any load to the window. How should I stop the window blowing in and out? I've left a 5mm gap between beam and window. If I put screws going up through the window frame into the beam it would transfer load.

Note the beam has another now non-removable piece of wood underneath but that just to narrow the gap so not relevant.

IMG-20240110-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240110-WA0005.jpg

This is what I've come up with so far. I was already planning to have 60mm of wood fibre insulation on the inner surface of the beam and 20mm on the outer surface anyway. That needs to be covered with plasterboard inside so battens needed anyway. I could screw the batten to clamp the window frame horizontally but still allow vertical movement if needed.

What do you think? What's normally done?

IMG-20240110-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20240110-WA0007.jpg

Effectively forming a rebate the frame sits in will work. If you wanted something less bulky you could put shear studs/pugs into the beam and have these in clearance holes or even sleeves in the top of the frame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1