Replacing PV system inverter

geo3geo

My 11 yr old inverter has died and it seems straightforward enough to fit a replacement myself. But it's not clear from what I've found online whether I can legitimately do this. I'd appreciate any feedback on the following.
1. Reading my FIT meter reading declaration (to my EDF supplier) they are only interested in PV panel generating capacity increases, inverter change is not mentioned, so do I need to inform them ?
2. Is there any legal requirement to use a 'qualified electrician? Or indeed an MCS certificated electrician?
3. Do I need to send a G98 form to connect the new invertor to the grid.
4. The original installation has all the MCS certifications, do I need to get this updated, presumably via an MCS approved person?

The last thing I want to do is risk loosing my generous FIT rate !

Many thanks for any advice

Things may have changed since I was involved with domestic PV, but it used to be the case that there were no FiT restriction on inverters.

The DNO did have to be involved, and possibly still do for safety and supply reasons.  So you may have to involve them and send them the correct paperwork.  Get in touch with them by phone (they are generally helpful if you explain it is a technical question to the person that answers the phone first).  Then take it from there.

I don't think EDF will care whether the inverter is replaced or not - as you say, they are only interested in what you generate.  Personally I wouldn't inform them.

I don't think the DNO would be interested either, especially if you are under the 3.whatever limit. If your array is larger than the limit, then they would ask for a G100 compliance certificate. So look out for a replacement inverter that includes an export limit manager and has a G100 certificate. Lots of them do. When we submitted ours for approval, the DNO asked for an electrical certificate but weren't interested in any MCS twaddle, we just said it was a self install.  I don't think this is a legal requirement, just them making sure that it has been installed according to the regs.  So if you have a tame sparky who would do the certificate if you were to do the replacement, then maybe this is the way forward?  If not, it's a pretty quick job, so shouldn't take a competent sparky long.

Simon

For our MCS system only the MCS number for the panels is listed with no mention of the inverter so I suspect an inverter change won't matter to your MCS registration.

Your DNO will definitely be interested in the new inverter to ensure its compliant with their grid standards, if its a change of inverter make/model. If the replacement inverter is the same make/model then you don't need to do anything. If its a change of make/model then you'll need to let them know the new inverters details and the new inverter will almost certainly need to be listed on the ENA database and be G98/G99 compliant. Check before you buy a new inverter!

What's the original Inverters rated output? 16 amp/3.68kw or less?

Changing the inverter is the same as changing a socket in the house ie anyone can legally do it. You only need a part P spark if you are adding or altering a circuit. If you were going to change the MCB for the inverter, change the supply cable size or increase the inverters power output, then you'd need a spark but a like for like change doesn't need a spark. Obviously work safely.

Edited by Dillsue

1 hour ago, Dillsue said:

Your DNO will definitely be interested in the new inverter to ensure its compliant with their grid standards

That is my understanding, and a sensible thing to do anyway.

1 hour ago, Dillsue said:

certainly need to be listed on the ENA database and be G98/G99 compliant

Best place to start.