Telebeams loft conversion with shed (pitched roof) dormer to ridge board

Hi All

I'm at the early stage of planning a loft conversion and have a question regarding the ridge board.

Is there any way to have a shed (pitched roof) dormer going to the existing ridge board rather than having to install a ridge beam. I recall reading somewhere that it could be done if the pitch was a minimum of X.

Many thanks in advance

Mike

Gable roof

Detached House

7m deep internal

9.5m wide internal, 16 trusses

2.7m height (joist to rafter)

Loft staircase over existing staircase and shed dormer to rear set back at least 20cm:

8836F571-0B4E-414A-A706-9489BAD8956D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6d28a45f953957a1526cc6d9513c7353.jpeg

Telebeams for removal of trusses:

6764DDD2-4741-409E-A96B-B618A915F600_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ddf540132c5169860eadbec98c953ef1.jpeg

Most UK dormers seem to be flat roof, but in order to minimise disruption, cost, headroom and aesthetics, I was wondering if this would be possible:

310D4896-15B2-44E6-8EB0-6953E30E728F_1_201_a.jpeg.047ec6b28c82740d63631361030dfb4c.jpeg

Thanks

Mike

Not quite as easy as it looks. You have trussed rafters which are lightweight factory made frames which distribute loads within themselves and are further strengthened by being part of an overall structure braced with horizontal and diagonal members. You cannot simply cut away the inconvenient bits. The principle you show may be possible but it will need to be designed by a structural engineer to ensure it doesn't all come apart at the seams......

1 hour ago, kandgmitchell said:

Not quite as easy as it looks. You have trussed rafters which are lightweight factory made frames which distribute loads within themselves and are further strengthened by being part of an overall structure braced with horizontal and diagonal members. You cannot simply cut away the inconvenient bits. The principle you show may be possible but it will need to be designed by a structural engineer to ensure it doesn't all come apart at the seams......

This is what the telebeam system is designed for https://www.telebeam.co.uk

4 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Have you tried contacting TeleBeam?  They should be able to provide you with a quote and the design and calcs will be included in the price.

Only just learned that they may well advise on all aspects and not just the floor and truss removal, which would be a win! Awaiting their reply.

• Like 1

A friend of mine is looking at these.  It looks a clever system and saves getting heavy steels in.  Not sure how expensive though.  Can you update this post with the price when you get it?

9 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

A friend of mine is looking at these.  It looks a clever system and saves getting heavy steels in.  Not sure how expensive though.  Can you update this post with the price when you get it?

I have 16 trusses (so 32 telebeams required) each covering a span of 7m (TB7.0 https://www.telebeam.co.uk/images/pdfs/generic_cross_section_2017.pdf)

Then; stairwell trimming hangers, bolts, sole plate angle fixings, stainless steel screws, drawings and instructions:

£9,911.00 plus VAT

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mwildy said:

I have 16 trusses (so 32 telebeams required) each covering a span of 7m (TB7.0 https://www.telebeam.co.uk/images/pdfs/generic_cross_section_2017.pdf)

Then; stairwell trimming hangers, bolts, sole plate angle fixings, stainless steel screws, drawings and instructions:

£9,911.00 plus VAT

How much would steels cost in comparison roughly?