Permitted Development denied due to 'verandah' on summerhouse which is just roof overhang

haddock

I applied for an LDC prior to building my summerhouse, as there are a couple of neighbours who cause long delays complaining about every application and I didn't want to be on the defensive. As expected, they objected on all sorts of grounds but the council rejected the LDC application only on the grounds of it having a 'verandah', which is mentioned in the technical guidance in the bit about raised platforms etc.

The so-called verandah has no floor; it's just a grassed area in front of the summerhouse but under the roof overhang. In the submitted plans it did have a handrail around the outside following the roof line above, however. If I re-submit the application without the handrail, the 'verandah' will just be a patch of grass under the roof overhang consisting of nothing except three support posts holding the front of the roof up. 

I'd be interested to hear any views on the council's decision to reject and what my chances at the Planning Inspectorate might be either with or without the handrail? Thanks for any thoughts...

Had the same thing with an application for an LDC for an extension on a warden's house on a scout camp site. I had shown a covered area with a floor and open sides as requested so that canoes and other gear could be dried under cover. The council refused the LDC citing that it was a veranda. From what I can remember I put walls up resubmitted and got approval. The scouts then didn't bother with the walls. Madness.

• Like 1

If the proposals don’t comply with the PD requirements, then of course an LDC application would be refused. There would be little point in trying to Appeal the decision as the requirements are clear. It’s not a matter of policy or judgment. If you’re adamant in an external but enclosed area, you will require Planning.

12 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

If you’re adamant in an external but enclosed area, you will require Planning.

I've no interest in an external but enclosed area, but put in the application with the handrail present because I've never seen "external but enclosed" being a criteria for anything. Do you have a source for that?

Planning definition of a veranda.     A veranda - usually defined as a gallery, platform, or balcony, usually roofed and often partly enclosed, extending along the outside of a building at ground level.

if it has no floor, not partly enclosed then how can it be described as a veranda, but as @kandgmitchell says above if it had walls it would be ok?

40 minutes ago, haddock said:

I've no interest in an external but enclosed area, but put in the application with the handrail present because I've never seen "external but enclosed" being a criteria for anything. Do you have a source for that?

As @joe90 has just pointed out.  It’s mentioned on Page 44 and asks you refer to Page 29 of the Technical Guidance.

You learn something every day, as decking falls under "Verandas, balconies and raised platforms", I wonder how many lawbreakers are out there oblivious to their civil disobedience? I would never have thought that a bit of decking at the back of the house needed PP.

Oh wait, so if the decking is less than 300mm high from the ground, that's fine. I love planning, such fun, so no, it's not a Veranda (often but not always roofed) but decking officer!

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

You learn something every day, as decking falls under "Verandas, balconies and raised platforms", I wonder how many lawbreakers are out there oblivious to their civil disobedience?

Not sure what you mean here? There is no decking involved. 

5 minutes ago, haddock said:

Not sure what you mean here? There is no decking involved. 

It gets lumped in with the no Verandas in my backyard rule, decking is a raised platform. I'm commenting on the daft legal situation.