Self-levelling compound as finished floor?

Ben Weston

Hi all,

We quite like the matt/polished concrete look and there are a few concrete-based SLCs available (Screwfix's own has come recommended by several people).

Our current plan is to put the SLC down prior to LVT flooring but I was wondering if a concrete-based SLC can be used as a finished floor? If so, is there anything particularly to look out for? 

Thanks both. Interesting that you found it “crumbly” and difficult to get flat @Alan Ambrose — was this their standard SLC or the slightly more expensive concrete-based one? I've only seen good reviews of both.

@Redbeard Might it have been the bitumen base that contributed to the lack of longevity? Genuinely don't know. We'll be pouring the SLC onto C35 concrete.

It can look quite patchy in colour and texture. I'd be surprised if it looks good enough for a finish.

Also it's quite brittle so might crack or lose adhedion if something is dropped on it.

Latex based stuff is more flexible. There used to be 2 part stuff that was great but I havent found any recently.

• Like 1

Thanks both - really helpful suggestions. I will make up a test board as suggested and see what it turns out like.

Noted also on latex; this was recommended by a few others to me too. I suspect we'll end up going a latex SLC route with LVT or Karndean/Amtico on top.

On 21/11/2023 at 16:55, Ben Weston said:

Redbeard Might it have been the bitumen base that contributed to the lack of longevity? Genuinely don't know. We'll be pouring the SLC onto C35 concrete.

Absolutely. It was plainly not a recommended application, but given that, as a bodge, it was remarkably successful.