Routing my ensuite drainage pipes...

jayc89

Trying to figure out how I should best route the drainage pipes for our new ensuite. The layout, and ideal pipe route would be;

Screenshot2023-11-20at14_30_40.png.4f332b3a288eccda5f8d8fd5bf35e1ab.png

The problem is I have sold joists running left to right across the room, like this;

Screenshot2023-11-20at14_31_29.png.697f845885746fb3254102ee0548e7ab.png

Which, as it happens, is great for supporting the bath, but not so helpful for pipework...

For additional context, here's what the wider site plan looks like (Yeah, there's a missing IC at that outside junction...)

Screenshot2023-11-20at14_40_59.thumb.png.a330f62f1037ac27f241498c921b6e1c.png

I guess I could core the 32/40mm pipes through the final joist and rear wall, joining them to the SVP externally, but it doesn't help with the W/C soil pipe.

I could route the soil pipe right, under the shower and out over the flat roof, but would then have to route to the ground somehow, and directly below it is our backdoor, restricting where the vertical pipe could drop down.

I don't have a massive amount of head height in either the ensuite or room below to create some fake floor/ceiling to hide the pipework in, so short of ripping out the joists and replacing with posi's, I'm struggling to come up with a sensible idea. 

Any suggestions? 

Are you dead set on the WC location? 

Route WC left around the bath and out back wall? 

Or swap wc and basin round and route basin round the bath to back wall, and route basin waste round the bath.

What are the dimensions of room, can you afford to loose some space build a false wall to conceal the pipework, a couple of niches, hidden cistern etc?

53 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Are you dead set on the WC location? 

Route WC left around the bath and out back wall? 

Or swap wc and basin round and route basin round the bath to back wall, and route basin waste round the bath.

What are the dimensions of room, can you afford to loose some space build a false wall to conceal the pipework, a couple of niches, hidden cistern etc?

Sorry, some missing context.

3x external walls, all of which will be insulated and will be battened off the wall, expected to use 2x1 battens, but could go slightly deeper to accommodate pipework. 

W/C will be wall hung, so would be in a 6" stud wall, was considering building a staggered stud wall, mainly because I have a load of 4x2 left, but still not sure I could get the 90mm pipe horizontally through it, and convert up to 110mm once I reached to SVP?

Shower tray is a linear wet room former so will be sitting directly on the joists, meaning the trap and pipework will already below the top of the joists. 

Room, uninsulated is 4.5m x 2m (was planning on 1800 finished width to match bath and shower tray size)

Edited by jayc89

Swapping the basin and W/C positions would allow me to run an internal stack in the top left corner of the layout, hidden behind tall units in the kitchen below. I think walking into the ensuite and being faced with the W/C, rather than basin/mirror/niches etc, kinda spoils the aesthetics, which I'd love to avoid. 

30 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

My thoughts were dependant on how much floor space you had to play with, you have plenty, so stick with your initial layout.  I'd probably look to go left, either straight out the wall, or left then along the bath then straight out, down then into the IC.

So a soil pipe boxed in running across the stud wall and down the returning wall to the outside - could I get away with hiding at least part of the run within the 6x2 stud wall? 

Then the bath/shower/basin waste running externally and then teed into the SVP? I was thinking 40mm from all three, teed into a 50mm that runs externally. Something like this;

Screenshot2023-11-20at20_17_24.thumb.png.873ffaf4dba6a2d9ff2d4ce3b34b2f48.png