Crazy??

Beelbeebub

Ok, came across this on Instagram...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxI6tiGgVBh

Ha Ha, look at the stupid person etc.

But....

The heat flux is the same through the system ie if the inside unit is cooling the outside world by 2kw then that 2kw plus whatever the compressor etc absorbs (say 500w) will appear at the outside unit as 2.5kw of heat.

So we've created a 2.5kw heater 

Crucially, the external unit - the one the planners get so in a twist about - is smaller and quieter than the one inside.

Now if we were to replace the large (and noisy) fan and coil on the outside unit (that is now inside) with a plate heat exchanger and circulator pump, we could fit that in a small boiler sized package.

Basically a split heat pump, like the ones commonly in use now *but* with the compressor inside and using the internal units as the basis for the external heat exchanger 

This would allow the external units to be quieter and more discrete getting around that aspect of resistance and the most likely to be serviced bits are inside.

Just a thought 

Personally I'd rather the noisy stuff be outside my house than in it

I think the planners either don't care , or care about the visual aesthetic as much as the noise 

It's neighbours that care most about the noise, and as most are installed under PD the planners don't actually get a look in on it. 

1 minute ago, joth said:

Personally I'd rather the noisy stuff be outside my house than in it

I think the planners either don't care , or care about the visual aesthetic as much as the noise 

It's neighbours that care most about the noise, and as most are installed under PD the planners don't actually get a look in on it. 

Having the noisy stuff outside is the better solution. No doubt 

But "it's a big ugly box" and "aren't they really noisy" seem to be two common misconceptions.

Was just a thought about how the external box could be made less obtrusive visually and acoustically 

The external boxes would just be a tangential fan and a coil, wonbe cheap and modular. A 2.5kw install for a flat would have 1, a small house 2, bigger house 3 etc.  the units don't even need to be next to each other and could be tucked away descretly under eaves or similar.

Yes the compressor would be inside but that could be in a nice acoustic enclosure as there isn't an airflow issue.  It's not like boilers are totally silent.