ASHP weather compensation on or off?

Johnbhoy80

Reading old posts on the forum and I came across some intriguing content from very respected posters saying they actually turned off weather compensation mode on their ASHP for a better COP rating.  The posts were from way back in 2019.  Is there something in this and should I switch from WComp mode, and if so what is the best settings for a Samsung R32 gen 6? Thanks. 

Thanks Conor, you would still recommend weather comp but max flow for heating for heating down at 35c. Is that warm enough for you when it’s really cold? My house has okay insulation but built in 2004 with upstairs renovated in 2009 so not brilliant.  Only had the pump in for 1 month so still trying to figure out what’s best.  Much much better as my previous set up with storage heaters downstairs and wet radiators upstairs, off an electric boiler and 300l megaflow, so I’m very happy with the new ASHP but lack of knowledge and fiddling with settings trying to maximise COP and find the happy medium. 

The simple answer is, there is no simple answer. Every house is different Nd every owner has different expectations of house temp.

Generally good rules are

1. Always flow from the heat pump at the lowest acceptable temperature. Acceptable meaning gives the house internal temp consistent with your expectations.

2. Run heat pump for long periods, this goes with 1. allowing low flow temps.

3.Try to have house at a consistent temperature, don't allow to cool down to much, if you want it cooler at night only set back the temp a couple of degrees, otherwise the heat pump can't catch up with heat demand.

Weather comp allows point 1. (Lowest flow temp). Fixed temp maybe not, depends on the house time temperature constant. Normal house with rads or UFH weather comp.

• Like 1