Horstmann Economy 7 Boiler Controller

ghostmomo

Hi all,

I just moved into the apartment and it is using Horstmann Economy 7 Boiler Controller ( you can see my pics attached below).

I have some questions on how to control the boiling time.  I see that my existing setting is to boil up the water from 7pm to 8pm and the "boost on" light will turn red during this one hour.

Screenshot2023-11-09170546.thumb.jpg.3ade5c93f4639ee7c1d2ce74c03249e0.jpgScreenshot2023-11-09170521.jpg.5877d7d42fcc37ca4bf3eb54aa09c016.jpg

So the problem I see right now is after I take a shower at night after 8pm, the hot water will be all gone in next morning.

Can I please ask if I can add any additional boiling time from this controller?  Or just simply need to setup the boiling time to a longer period - say starting from 7pm to 11 pm ?

Please advise, many thanks. :)

Quite often you get 2 heating elements on an E7 hot water cylinder.

One at the bottom that is turned on and off by the separate E7 circuit, and one 2/3rd or so up the cylinder that is controlled independently.

It is that upper element that the timer is probably on and if set outside the E7 window i.e. midnight to 7AM, is using the day rate electricity (mine is now over 3 times the cost of the night rate).

My cylinder is 200lt and can easily give a couple of baths worth of hot water.

Can you take a picture of the cylinder and where any wires are attached and where they lead to.

These Horstman timers can be wired in a number of ways bepending if you have 1 or 2 elements and if you have a switched off peak supply.

But the general principle is you want the tank heated between about midnight and 7AM during the cheap rate.  The boost is only there in case you have used a lot of hot water and ran out, and will be charged at the peak rate.

I would set your normal timer times from say 3AM to 7AM to get the latter part of the off peak time, and then only ever press the boost button if you have used all your hot water and need more before the next overnight charge.

I am unable to see the cylinder or any wire because they are all covered in the box.

Screenshot2023-11-09180843.thumb.jpg.f3de9825e9bff73d92365e5a5c208a4f.jpg

Maybe I try the suggestion from ProDave - setting up something between 3AM to 7AM and see if I can survive for 2 showers in morning and at night. :)

Thank you guys!