Trickle Vents - 1865 Cottage

Onoff

As an aside to the plastering thread the mid terrace I have has 2G, upvc windows dating from the early 90s. There are no trickle vents fitted which tbh I think there should be. Is it easy retrofitting them, do you have to choose a certain size, then do you have to route a slot or will a series of drilled holes suffice? Thanks.

Speaking of the 90's, worked for a couple of window manfacturers and we used the same "Brookvent" trickle vent for everything, each one IIRC gave 6m3 air change. Didn't matter the profile, Marshall Tufflex, Swish, Deeplas and Sheerframe (just thinking of the latter still makes sweat remebering how infexible LB were with deliveries) . If there was gas burning in the room it got the non closing one. Tended to put one in each side opener or one in the top hung depending on size of room/window and style.

8 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Feels kind of strange offering you advice Clive ........

I'm trying to give up thinking altogether. I just pray for 6 numbers or a massive clutcher most days. 

Edited by Onoff

If you go for a higher-end trickle vent (e.g. humidity-sensitive) check that they can physically fit on the frames in terms of width/height.

There used to be a product sold by Aereco (their "EMM" vent), that were quite slimline at only 27mm height. I fitted a few before putting in a PIV unit and they work well for opening and closing themselves based on humidity levels. Now, Aereco only sell the EMM2 which looks similar to those offered by Brookvent and is a much larger unit (the Brookvent HY is 45mm height!).

I think out of the standard vents (like the Slotvent), they're all much the same as each other. The only consideration you might have is upward-deflection or downward facing for the interior part. Upward-deflection vents should be less prone to feeling drafts. They also do a better job of hiding the holes, in case you are incapable of drilling holes in a straight line like whoever did some for my home's previous owner.

Edited by hauntedicecreamvan