Fitting glass pane in new stud wall

Logan

Hi I’m looking to put in an internal glass pane alongside a new internal door I’m going to be fitting into a new internal stud wall. The stud wall remains to be be built. 

How do I best go about doing this in terms of the timber I need for the pane, fitting the glass and the lining/finishing of the edges etc?

Thanks in advance! (Excuse my amateur drawing!)

IMG_4583.jpeg

Starting with a simple rectangular opening (as you would for a door) you just add a rectangular frame/bead, then the glass then another bead. One side the bead can be glued and pinned in place. The other side just pinned in case you need to replace the glass. You can run a sealant around before fitting the glass to stop daughts and rattles.

The shape of the bead can be a simple square/rectangle or a moulding to match elsewhere. Ideally mitre the corners but not essential.

If it's going to be a double glazed unit the vertical thickness of the bead needs to be sufficient to hide the seal and some extra to allow for the fact the glass needs to be cut slightly underside and then packed to centre it in the opening. Both panes should be supported by any packing.

Beware fire regulations. For example if this new wall is separating stairs from habitable rooms in a 3 storey house (inc 2 story with loft conversation). Might need to limit size of glass, and change how it's fitted. Possibly even wired glass?

Think it also needs to be toughened glass as below ?? mm from floor level. Same for door.

• Thanks 1